Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Releases Q&A: 2021-06-19 New Quizzes Item Banks

Jump to solution

Looking to discuss this feature from the 2021-06-19 Release Notes? Post a reply and start a conversation!

POSTING GUIDELINES
  • This topic is for feature discussion only—please share use cases, best practices, etc. regarding this feature
  • Please thread replies as much as possible to keep posts organized
  • Feedback to product managers about idea enhancements should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)
  • Bug reports for this feature should be submitted to Canvas Support—bugs will not be triaged in this thread

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

After feedback from many of you in the thread above, I can confirm that there are some user configurations where users without an explicit admin role are seeing Item Banks. 

Specifically, this is caused by the process to apply account roles to a user, which marks the user as an admin.

Therefore, as of this post, we are temporarily disabling the feature flag for the Item Banks Management release. The standard Item Banks pages from within New Quizzes will still be available. New functionality in the June release will not be available at that time. 

A feature flag will be made available to institutions not impacted by the above configuration, so that they may enable while we address the above situation. 

View solution in original post

Update: Item Banks Management feature and the new permission are now available as of July, 20th 2021.

This update adds a new 'Item Banks- account manage' permission to Canvas to allow users to see every Item Bank for an account. The permission will automatically be included in the standard account admin role. You may remove the permission. However, please note that you must have 'Item Banks - account manage' to provision other roles with the permission. If you want a different role at your account to see every Item Bank, you must add the permission for the other role prior to removing from account admin role.

This means when the update goes out, the behavior will be the SAME AS PREVIOUSLY but now allows you greater control over who should see all item banks. You must take the above action if you need to see different behavior.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
Cheri_Hamilton
Community Member

So far, I have been unable to access the Item Banks at any level using the Item Bank tab in the Account or Course menu. Yesterday, I received the cute little Rocket Ship 503- Service Temporarily Unavailable error.

Cheri_Hamilton_0-1623356750982.png

Today, I am getting a 500 error (not as cute, but I think it's an improvement).

Cheri_Hamilton_2-1623356918405.png

I am able to get further in the process though. I will keep working at it. Just wanted to update anyone who was trying it out in Beta. Also wanted to see if anyone else has more success with it.

snugent
Community Champion

I was getting the message @Cheri_Hamilton is getting last week. I tried this morning and I can get to item banks via a quiz but not from the course menu link. From the course menu link I am still getting a 500 error. 

snugent
Community Champion

Will the question metadata and search feature within an item bank be included in upcoming release? I really hate losing features. 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@snugent 

Old functionality: you will still have the same features as currently; where it is possible to search within an item bank for metadata/ tags. Note that Beta environments do not support the question filtering in an Item Bank. 

New functionality: It will additionally be possible to search for an item bank by bank name.  I understand that it would be useful to search for an item banks by meta data but that isn't in this initial release. 

You already know snugent, but for anyone else who visits this Release discussion, additional details can be found here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/Coming-Soon-to-New-Quizzes-Item-Banks-Management...

mwhite3
Community Participant

One thing to note after the recent update (19th) - for instructors who are also listed as admin they will see all the item banks for the entire account. Unfortunately, these individuals will not see their own item banks under the My course bank filter as the their Admin privilege will over ride it. Big pain for a small group of people.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks, @mwhite3 , we'll keep this in mind as we evaluate the release and if additional changes should be made in the near term. 

MaryMorehouse
Community Member

I was disappointed to see that the issue of making edits to item banks still effects any assignment using the bank. If I share an item bank in New Quizzes with any faculty member and give them edit access, if that faculty member makes changes it will effect all instances of that item bank.

Also, every time that you share the item bank it makes another copy of that item bank. I created a "test" item bank and shared it with two additional Canvas users and now I have three copies of that item bank.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@MaryMorehouse There is a new permission, "View" which should meet your needs. If you switch the teacher to the view permission they will be able to see and use an Item Bank in the Quiz but not make edits to the content in the actual Item Bank. 

We've confirmed in production that sharing an Item Bank with a course does not make additional copies. Please file a support ticket if you see the above behavior.  

danaleeling
Community Participant

@mwhite3 Thanks! As both an instructor teaching courses and an admin this is the sort of heads up that informs me. At present I am instructing faculty to use Classic Quizzes until the many issues, including this, are resolved. I have to guess that your "small number of admins" is not necessarily as small as one might initially expect. Many colleges undoubtedly use a team of admins which include active faculty.