cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Resetting a submission in Quizzes.next?

Jump to solution

Sometimes we have students that accidentally click submit too soon or something else occurs that requires a quiz submission to be reset. Since we cannot reset submissions in this system, we have gotten around this by adding additional time or an attempt. This doesn’t appear this will be an option with Quizzes.next. Will there be a way to clear a submission or to create settings for additional students?

I found this in the Quizzes.next documentation.

289370_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi kdougherty@instructure.com,

I am a little shocked that this has not made it past your prioritization sessions. If I had to rank our top reasons for telling teachers not to use the new Quizzing engine, that one is definitely in my top 3.

1. Students see which answers they got right and wrong and there is no way to prevent that.
  2. Extra attempts can't be assigned to individual students.
  3. Math editor doesn't have parity with the old math editor.

Do you have any teacher input in your prioritization meetings other than what gets posted here in this forum? Are there focus groups for those meetings by any chance?

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sbeck@nwmissouri.edu.  You bring up a feature that we would make use of as well.  I believe that adding extra attempts will be an option in Quizzes.Next in the future as we have been informed by Instructure folks that they are working on building parity between Quizzes.Next and Quizzes Classic, particularly as it relates to items on the chart you noted.  I haven't seen a specific timeline for multiple attempts, but like you hope to see it sooner than later.  If it helps, the two quizzing options will exist together for some time, particularly until parity is achieved.

Best wishes!

Instructure
Instructure

Hi sbeck@nwmissouri.edu‌,

For parity we will have the additional attempts per student per quiz, and we are also reviewing other related functionality. This will come but hasn't yet made it past our prioritization sessions and onto the immediate roadmap, so it is not slated to be addressed in the next months.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

Thank you for your response. Faculty are just a bit frustrated. We have talked up the new quizzing engine and they are excited to get to use it. 

Please keep in mind that this has major ADA implications so it needs to move to the top of your list. We cannot use Quizzes.Next until this feature is corrected.

Hi kdougherty@instructure.com,

I am a little shocked that this has not made it past your prioritization sessions. If I had to rank our top reasons for telling teachers not to use the new Quizzing engine, that one is definitely in my top 3.

1. Students see which answers they got right and wrong and there is no way to prevent that.
  2. Extra attempts can't be assigned to individual students.
  3. Math editor doesn't have parity with the old math editor.

Do you have any teacher input in your prioritization meetings other than what gets posted here in this forum? Are there focus groups for those meetings by any chance?

View solution in original post

Kevin,

I agree with Matt. I am surprised that the ability to allow students extra attempts on a quiz is not one of the highest priorities. So far this has been my number one problem with Quizzes.Next. Over the semester there are always at least a few students who have some problem, that is not their fault, and need a second attempt at the quiz. As it is, I have to create a second version of the quiz and assign it to the person. It would be so much easier just to allow another attempt. My quizzes do consist of questions randomly selected from sub-testbanks so student would most likely not be getting many, or any of the same questions again on a second attempt.

Hanes.Matthew.B@muscogee.k12.ga.us, agreed and the only thing I’d add as a #4 to your list is that Quizzes.Next has to work with Reapondus. There’s no way we can manually create all of our quizzes for faculty every semester. 

Community Member

Jumping in here with strong encouragement to get those features added ASAP.  Given that they are already in Classic, presumably this isn't a question of a technical barrier, and really right now canvas is very frustrating in its quiz functionality overall -- so close to great in many ways but then these key bits strangely missing!  I was directed to use Quizzes.Next by my campus support, so that I could import questions directly into the test bank to create my Final, instead of having to import duplicate quizzes and then delete them (and even in the new system I had to import one quiz at a time, when I had exported my whole list of active quizzes).  Overall, the integration with the test bank is much nicer in .Next, but then we have these major steps backward here with the moderation.  Right now I have a student whose computer froze up on the final -- how am I supposed to reset the thing and allow her to finish the exam??  I never suspected that would not be supported and didn't look carefully at it. Argh!

Hi randy.oreilly@colorado.edu You make a number of points in your post.  Just in case it helps, I wanted to make sure that you are aware that now in Quizzes.Next you can allow students multiple attempts and hide student responses (in the "settings" tab of the Q.N interface; see image below).  If a student's computer freezes and they can close it out and log back in, then they should be able to pick up the attempt where they left off.  If appropriate, you could use the "moderate" tab to give that student extra time on his/her attempt.  The math editor and the ability to function with Respondus were also mentioned in post above.  I am not sure where progress stands on these, but know that at least with Respondus part of the timing of any release will depend on Respondus developing the capability to work with the Quizzes.Next LTI.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

299861_pastedImage_2.png