cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hhartkopf
Community Participant

Reviewing Results in New Quizzes (with Respondus LDB)

I am an instructor who recently gave a quiz using Canvas New Quizzes and Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor. The students were able to take the quiz, but none of them were able to review the results. Whether they started in their normal browser or in the LDB, the quiz was listed as "Locked" and they could not see any results. Under the quiz's settings, I had verified that I had not restricted results; under Grades, I had posted the grade. No good.

I had the bright idea of removing the date the quiz was available until. Now that the quiz was no longer closed, the issue was fixed and my students could review the results.

Is there not a way to have the quiz closed (so students cannot continue to take it after the deadline) and also have the results viewable?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JL95
Community Member

I am a instructor with the same problem.  I gave a new quiz with respondus.  Since I give partial credit based on their written work (I have them turn that in a separate quiz) I need time to grade the quiz.

I don't want them to be able to review the test until I have graded everyone's test, and assigned partial credit.  The grade they would see right after the quiz is wildly inaccurate.  This also helps prevent early finishers from supplying their test questions/answers to others who are still taking the quiz.

With an "old quiz" (but not using respondus) I could change their access to the quiz after I finished grading, and they could review their answers.

Steven_S
Community Champion

One of the lockdown browser advanced settings when you give a classic quiz requires students to use lockdown browser to view results.  (This improves exam security it some students will have access to return to view results before other students start.)  In new quizzes that is not an option, and so it may always be in effect.  That would mean no matter which browser your students start in, they are always in lockdown browser to try and view the results, because it auto launches.

In classic quizzes there was a problem with combining a one-attempt quiz with a setting that allowed students to view results only once, because at the end of the quiz results would be sent once, but lockdown browser would not display them and then when students returned later to view results, canvas thought they had already been provided with those results.  (The solution was to moderate and allow students to see results "one more time.")  I do not believe new quizzes includes the view results only once option, and so that should not be exactly the same problem for your students.  However, it sounds related. 

The until date in canvas must not be communicating with new quizzes differently for quiz results verse quiz attempts.  Have you submitted a support ticket about that?  If not, please do, so it can be corrected.

JL95
Community Member

I wonder if removing the quiz from lockdown browser after the quiz is fully graded would allow them to view their results?  

hhartkopf
Community Participant

Great comments! I put in support tickets with both Canvas and Respondus. Canvas didn't have any solutions or suggestions, but Respondus suggested that I wait until all the students were done taking the quiz and then change the LDB settings on the quiz so that LDB/Monitor was not required. I have tested this and it does work, but I still have to remove the "Until" date. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

@hhartkopf   If you are only able to get students access to view feedback and results before the until date, that specifically needs to be reported to canvas support.  It helps if you can attach a video of how to create the problem.  If canvas support can recreate the issue, they can let you know whether it is considered to be working as designed.  It is not likely that there is an intentional design blocking access to feedback after the until date, so canvas support will likely work on correcting the issue.

hhartkopf
Community Participant

@Steven_S Agreed! I was definitely surprised by the response to my previous ticket. I will try resubmitting a support ticket today with a video attachment and see if that helps the problem to be more clear.

lindsay_kruse
Community Member

I just had a faculty member have this exact issue. Our workaround was to establish a time during or after class for those students interested in reviewing their exam to take respondus off the quiz for 15-20 min. 

Does anyone know if Canvas or Respondus is working on creating a way to allow students to view their results (new quizzes) without having to make the alterations to respondus?

@lindsay_kruse  a similar issue was a problem for me in classic quizzes - requiring lockdown browser to view results prevents screen-shots of answers and feedback, but students get blocked by the interaction between the two programs.  lockdown sends the student submission, and classic quizzes views that as 1 attempt.  The feedback is sent in response, but lockdown does not display it.  A repeat attempt to access the results is blocked by canvas if multiple attempts are not allowed on the quiz.  I was told - if you want students to see their results at all, do not use that combination of settings.... In contrast, new quizzes does not have this issue.  Using new quizzes might resolve that part -

I have not encountered any complaints about accessing results after the until date.  That should be reported as an error, in as much detail as possible by everyone who encounters it, so that canvas can trouble shoot the cause.

aleverton
Community Participant

I have an instructor whose students cannot view feedback. Is that what others were experiencing?