cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlbain
Community Member

Scientific notation

Jump to solution

Is it really possible that this quizzing engine won't allow students to enter numbers in scientific notation?  I have built a simple formula question that requires an answer on the order of 10^24 or 10^(-23), and the only thing I can type in the blank are numbers and a decimal point when I take the assignment in student view.  It would be crazy to require students to type 1150000000000000000000000, or 0.0000000000000000000000206. 

Also, there is no way within the question to control how many significant figures are accepted in a correct answer, and how many are shown as the correct answer to students.  Right now the answers are showing as 1154216666666666700000000 and 2.0584000000000002e-23, which are meaningless to a scientist (or a scientist-in-training).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @rlbain ‌,

Sorry for the late response here.

Scientific notation support is planned functionality that is not yet available.  You are not alone in expecting it, and we understand it is an important feature.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @rlbain ‌,

Sorry for the late response here.

Scientific notation support is planned functionality that is not yet available.  You are not alone in expecting it, and we understand it is an important feature.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rlbain .  I have been looking at older Quizzes.Next questions to determine if any updates are appropriate.  I noticed that there have not been any responses here since Kevin's back in February.  It looks like Kevin's reply answered your question about the future development of scientific notation support, so am going to mark his response as correct.  Doing so does not prevent you or anyone else from continuing a threaded discussion so please feel fee to add additional thoughts in the thread.  

Thanks and best wishes!

Hi Kevin,

Its now near the end of 2019. Any estimate in terms of the time frame when Canvas will add the feature of being able to write scientific notation as part of the answers on questions or for students to input this?

Most of my assessments has been streamlined and incorporated in Canvas.    As science teachers, this is function is important for us to have our students be able to do and being able to type the answers online make things so much easier for all. Thank you.

RSMacLeod
Community Participant

And now it is the end of 2020!  Still no solution?

wmwolf
Community Member

I know there are a lot of features to work on, but this isn't the hardest regular expression to write... The whole thing is written in rails, right? Here's one for free

Seriously, though, can we get an update, or at least an explanation why this is taking so long?