cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lshulman
Community Participant

Score does not populate immediately

When I grade the essay answers and then hit "update", I do not see the score automatically transfer into the gradebook (using Speed grader) (as it does with the old quizzes). I have to hit "update" a second time to get it to take.

19 Replies
jryter1
Community Participant

I saw that as well when i regraded a question. I couldn't tell if it updated and was taking a minute to update. I ended up clicking twice from impatience and make sure it regraded. I kind of think it works the first time.... but?

Jarral

0 Kudos
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Laura,

Curious to know if you were able to try this behavior again and got the score to stick on the first attempt?

Erin

0 Kudos
lshulman
Community Participant

No, after that one/first attempt using Quizzes Next, I have avoided using it again! Will not bother with Quizzes Next until the bugs are worked out and it becomes our only option (Classic Quizzes is retired).

At this point, I don't see any value for me to use Quizzes Next.

0 Kudos

@erinhmcmillanI previously had found that two clicks of the update button were consistently required to shift the new score into the speedgrader grade box.  However, in my latest new quizzes it seems that there is no number of clicks that will transfer the score.  Thankfully, it does appear when I return to grades.  It would be helpful to see the transfer so that I could tell the grade had updated correctly without flipping back and forth between grades and speedgrader.

0 Kudos
BSS
Community Member

I often have to click "Update" as many as 4 or 5 times before the score populates to the gradebook area. It never happens on the first try. This is when grading initially or regrading.

0 Kudos
kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

@erinhmcmillan Hi Erin, I have also found that I must click more than once in Speedgrader to be confident that the grade has updated in gradebook. Updating points on the left doesn't seem to be reflected in the sidebar/'grade box' (right hand side) until at least two clicks are completed. It may be that gradebook is updated after one click but it does not 'appear to' in Speedgrader. I've also noticed that the score does not update in the sidebar when moving between students in Speedgrader. The behaviour seems inconsistent to me.

0 Kudos
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Is this behavior something that anyone has reported to Canvas support? They can check this out and see what is happening if you can let them know.

Thank you!

Erin

@erinhmcmillanI assumed it was already being worked on but here's a ticket: 06933814

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Happy to log a ticket too if required. Just let me know. Two clicks are required on Update button when in Speedgrader to get the score to update on the right hand side. But if I do just the one click, then move back to gradebook, gradebook will have the updated score. If I then return to Speedgrader, it will have updated there as well. 

@kirsten_ryallPlease do, and reference ticket 06933814.

I seem to lack the communication skills to communicate with canvas support. 

Response 1:  You should expect to have to wait a minute or so for speedgrader to update after 1 click.  (Not acceptable)

Response 2:  I'm sorry you are having trouble grading, but speedgrader updates instantly when I test it, so your computer or internet must be inadequate.  (Not accurate)

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

All done @Steven_S . Ticket is 06951889 and I referenced yours as well as this discussion too. I recorded myself playing around in speedgrader and gradebook, and have sent support the recording. Fingers crossed. 

@kirsten_ryallgreat! Response 3 was that they consider all feedback, but cannot guarantee a response time.  So fingers crossed, the added information from your ticket might fill in some gaps and bring a faster solution.

0 Kudos
kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Good news, Level 2 support have been able to reproduce the behaviour and have now requested the engineering team take a look at it. They did also mention that this may be expected behaviour and a limitation of LTI grade passback functionality, but they will confirm.

@kirsten_ryall wrote:

Good news, Level 2 support have been able to reproduce the behaviour and have now requested the engineering team take a look at it. They did also mention that this may be expected behaviour and a limitation of LTI grade passback functionality, but they will confirm.

The failure to update immediately, the lack of notification to the To Do List, the lack of a shortcut to the SpeedGrader, the complex build path, failure to report learning outcomes back to the mastery module, are all directly or indirectly related to New Quizzes being implemented as an LTI. The hope is that, like Badgr before, spinning out this functionality as an LTI will allow Canvas to monetize the New Quizzes capability through offering this as a third party LTI to other LMS platforms. With issues that now go back multiple years, clearly there are "sunk costs" for Instructure and an unwillingness to walk away from a problematic approach. However, tests and quizzes are just too central to the functionality of an LMS to "live" as an LTI extension. And the two year push back on Classic Quiz sunset indicates the extreme difficulty the engineering teams are having in resolving the many issues that they are trying to resolve.

For now I am advising the faculty I work with to hold off on New Quizzes until at least 2023 in the hope that Canvas can resolve the ever increasing number of issues that continue to arise - I haven't even mentioned the complexity that use of an LTI has forced NQ Item Banks to be owned by a user rather than a course and the many issues that arise from that.

LTI's will never produce the speed of pass back for data that a native implementation can produce. By their very nature LTI's are designed to operate in an async mode in their relation to the calling platform, not synchronous. This cannot be resolved by a code fix. Hence the phrase, "expected behavior."

bowmanr
Community Champion

@danaleeling -

Thanks for a great explanation.  I did not hop on the New Quiz train and fortunately my school allows us to use both. 

wendy4
Community Member

I have the same issue however if find once I have updated the score if I go to the top of the page and refresh the page the score populates on the right hand side and updates the gradebook also.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

I can confirm that @wendy4 is correct, the page is not dynamically refreshing and to see updated scores you'll need to refresh the page.  It sounds like the initial team working on this anticipated a different workflow process and didn't realize you may keep that page up.

We do have a ticket to address this in the backlog.

Where can I find the latest update on this ticket?

0 Kudos
helpdesk
Advocate

What is the status on this? I am still seeing this behavior. 

0 Kudos