cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

Stimulus Randomization

One of the problems I have not been able to figure out (either with old quizzes or with quizzes.next) is how to randomize multipart problems. I think the best way to explain is with an example.

Let's say I want to create a quiz about interpreting graphs. Some of my questions may be:

• What is the meaning of the x-intercept in the context of this problem?
  • What is the meaning of the y-intercept in the context of this problem?
  • Over what intervals is the speed/height/etc. decreasing?
  • At what time did so-and-so turn around according to the graph?
  • etc. etc.

Let's say I have 5 different graphs and with each graph I have 7 associated questions. Ideally, I would like to have Canvas randomly choose 1 of the 5 graphs, then 4 of the questions associated with that graph. I thought that this was going to be possible when I heard about stimuli in quizzes.next, but perhaps I misunderstood. This would make it easier for me to offer retakes or second tries on quizzes.

Is there a way to do this that I am missing? If not, is there interest in this sort of functionality? I think that this would help a lot with flexibility and re-usability with quizzes.

3 Replies
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Joseph,

I wanted to acknowledge a reply to your question since no one else has—maybe what you're trying to do isn't of specific interest to others? Current functionality related to randomization is included in How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in New Quizzes?  

I hope you were able to find a solution that has worked for you!

Erin

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Joseph,

Just in case anyone else finds this question, a related feature idea is here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16926-attached-questions-stay-fixed-to-stimulus-in-item-bank 

Thanks,

Erin

Surveyor

I would like to disagree.  As more schools are moving to remote learning in COVID time, being able to vary stimuli randomly is of great interest.  Is there currently to use Question Banks, create stimuli, and have them randomly selected in Canvas?