cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Student Preview

Jump to solution

Will you be adding a 'Student View'.  It is very hard to debug your quiz without being able to preview it as a students.  I tried publishing it and then using Student View, however, when I go back to fix errors, it says that it can only duplicate questions because a 'student' has already taken it.  There should either be a preview as student internal to Quiz.next or it should not consider the Student View  'person' a student.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

This is going to be fixed in the 8/17/2019 update.

The Build page supports previewing New Quizzes assessments. This change allows you to view and test assessment questions and settings by viewing an assessment from a student’s perspective.

You can preview a New Quizzes assessment from the Build page by clicking the Preview button.

Preview button in the Build page

Assessment Preview will display the assessment in the same manner that a student would see it. This includes most assessment settings, including calculators, timer, question shuffling, and one question at a time. Assessment Preview does not support displaying student access codes and IP address filtering.

Assessment preview for students

You can also submit an assessment and view your assessment results from Assessment Preview. The results page supports displaying any Restrict student result view settings in Assessment Preview. If you find any grading errors, you may want to correct them and try again before you publish the assessment.

"X QUESTIONS REQUIRE GRADING"
Some types of questions (essay, file uploads) require manual grading, which can be an issue to us and to the many students.

Restrict student view settings for students display in the preview for instructors

In the picture above, there are 5 questions worth 5 points each, for a total of 25 points. The student got 3 questions correct and one question incorrect. The remaining question has yet to be graded. The highest possible grade the student can get is 80%.

When viewing an assessment in Preview mode, the assessment displays a colored Preview border. To exit Assessment Preview at any time, click the Close icon to keep editing this assessment.

Preview banner for quizzes

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

• "You started this assessment near when it was due, so you won't have the full amount of time to take it."
  • The question navigator appears to be missing during preview sessions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi bgustin@srcs.org‌,

We are working on the design for a preview feature and would like some more of your feedback. While we understand some use cases, I would like to better understand the debugging activity you engage in. Please consider replying to this thread with a description of what that activity is for you.

What you are experiencing is part of the nature of the separation between Canvas and any LTI tool. As Quizzes.Next continues to improve, we are paying attention to these types of changes and working hard to overcome them while still supporting the LTI standard.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I was testing this yesterday using student view. When completing an exam it produced an entry in the test student row. Is this what you are referring too? 

266616_Test student view in Quizzes..PNG

Highlighted

Yes.  Currently there is no way to remove entries from a "Student View" student so those students are added to the assignment analytics.   Also, the "Student View" student cannot repeat the assignment if setting do not allow multiple attempts. 

Highlighted
Community Member

YES! I'd like to see a student preview, a question at a time, if possible.

The first thing I do as a creator is create, but then I want to see what my creation looks like to the observer, in this case, the student. This feature will also help me learn in the most contextual way possible how to best implement regex answers for fill-in-blank questions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I have to agree. We always request that instructors preview the exam or use student view to make sure the questions and answers appear to students as they want them to. Plus, teachers like to check to make sure that the shuffle answers actually shuffled.

If a teacher uses the Student View to take the quiz/exam right now the teacher cannot seem to reset the student view option or update the question.

Highlighted
Adventurer

This is going to be fixed in the 8/17/2019 update.

The Build page supports previewing New Quizzes assessments. This change allows you to view and test assessment questions and settings by viewing an assessment from a student’s perspective.

You can preview a New Quizzes assessment from the Build page by clicking the Preview button.

Preview button in the Build page

Assessment Preview will display the assessment in the same manner that a student would see it. This includes most assessment settings, including calculators, timer, question shuffling, and one question at a time. Assessment Preview does not support displaying student access codes and IP address filtering.

Assessment preview for students

You can also submit an assessment and view your assessment results from Assessment Preview. The results page supports displaying any Restrict student result view settings in Assessment Preview. If you find any grading errors, you may want to correct them and try again before you publish the assessment.

"X QUESTIONS REQUIRE GRADING"
Some types of questions (essay, file uploads) require manual grading, which can be an issue to us and to the many students.

Restrict student view settings for students display in the preview for instructors

In the picture above, there are 5 questions worth 5 points each, for a total of 25 points. The student got 3 questions correct and one question incorrect. The remaining question has yet to be graded. The highest possible grade the student can get is 80%.

When viewing an assessment in Preview mode, the assessment displays a colored Preview border. To exit Assessment Preview at any time, click the Close icon to keep editing this assessment.

Preview banner for quizzes

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

• "You started this assessment near when it was due, so you won't have the full amount of time to take it."
  • The question navigator appears to be missing during preview sessions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos