Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heath_hamrick

Teacher-Graded New Quizzes Appearing As Zeroes

Jump to solution

Currently, in New Quizzes, teacher-graded responses are returned as ZEROES until the teacher grades the work.  Understandably, this can freak students out.  There doesn't seem to be an easy way to game this situation.  We have tried hiding grades in the gradebook, but releasing one of those grades releases them all...including the "false" zeroes.  Thoughts? Solutions?  I haven't seen a fix for this anywhere on the New Quizzes roadmap. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
heath_hamrick

A solution we've found:   At the course level, setting for Manual Release of Grades.  New Quizzes still gives the feedback page (which is fine, even if on teacher-graded assignments it says a 0....kids can be trained that that means nothing).  In the gradebook, they get the notification that the teacher is grading.  Every day, the teacher grades needed assignments.  Every morning, the teacher switches the course settings to Automatic...which releases all the grades.  Then, a minute later, they set it back to Manual.  Since Manual doesn't work retroactively, this has the effect of showing all the the "actual" grades, and hiding future "false zeroes" for the day.  

It is interesting Canvas isn't all over this one.  This is a pretty big design hiccup.  I know WHY it exists (LTI, etc), but they need to be thinking of the practicality of usage before New Quizzes fully takes over. 

View solution in original post

How insane is it that this is the "solution?"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Hi  @heath_hamrick ‌

I thought this might be the answer

What happens when you alter the Settings on the quizzes like here:

321442_pastedImage_1.png

But still giving a 0 score which is pretty rubbish tbh and possibly worse than not having it - especially when giving quizzes to younger students who dont understand why...

321449_pastedImage_2.png

Perhaps we need to submit and Idea?

heath_hamrick

A solution we've found:   At the course level, setting for Manual Release of Grades.  New Quizzes still gives the feedback page (which is fine, even if on teacher-graded assignments it says a 0....kids can be trained that that means nothing).  In the gradebook, they get the notification that the teacher is grading.  Every day, the teacher grades needed assignments.  Every morning, the teacher switches the course settings to Automatic...which releases all the grades.  Then, a minute later, they set it back to Manual.  Since Manual doesn't work retroactively, this has the effect of showing all the the "actual" grades, and hiding future "false zeroes" for the day.  

It is interesting Canvas isn't all over this one.  This is a pretty big design hiccup.  I know WHY it exists (LTI, etc), but they need to be thinking of the practicality of usage before New Quizzes fully takes over. 

How insane is it that this is the "solution?"