cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcarruth
Surveyor

What happens to my questions when I copy the Canvas Course

When I imported a Canvas course to another course, the questions in the Quiz did not copy.  Is this expected?  What do I need to do to get the questions to copy when I import from another Canvas course?

7 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mcarruth‌, and thank you for asking this question!

I just tested this, because it is one of the things I had not yet tried, and you are correct. This poses a huge challenge to the brave faculty I coerced into participating with this beta. They are mostly making their new quizzes in a sandbox, then plan to copy them into live sections for student testing. Fixing this is a must!

Kelley

jsparks
Instructure
Instructure

Support of the course copy functionality is in design and will be made available prior to general availability of the toolset.

Woo hoo, Jason!

thank you!

A00301621
Surveyor

I tried this today and it copied the title, but not the questions. I decided to re-create the questions to add them in the new course. It let me do so, but now whenever I click on the "Return" button it takes me back to the original course, not the course the content was copied into.

Hey Deactivated user, does this include supporting quiz-sharing through Commons, as well, or JUST the course copy functionality?

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello mcarruth.  I have been going through older Quizzes.Next questions to see if any updates to the question threads or status (answered, assumed answered, etc.) are appropriate.  I am not sure if you or A00301621have tried a course copy since general availability of Quizzes.Next, but I just tested with a couple of sandbox courses and it looks as though the quiz itself does copy from one course shell to another.  Has this been your experience as well?  If so then I will indicate the question has been answered or you can mark one of the responses as correct.  Thanks!

Hi  @steven_park .  I am not sure if you have attempted recently, but I tried sharing a Quizzes.Next assignment via the Canvas Commons and it did not work.  As described in this question however, Looking for Quizzes.Next Examples, if I share an entire course through the Canvas Commons, then the questions for a Quizzes.Next assignment appear to transfer ok but they cannot be edited or added to an existing question bank for the new user.  I just thought I would bring this up in case it helps in any way!