cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobDitto
Community Champion

Will Numeric questions eventually support scientific notation?

Jump to solution

Numeric questions seem wonderful in Quizzes LTI, supporting many decimal places without forced rounding. And they can be automatically regraded! These improvements will delight our teachers when Quizzes LTI is released.

I tried building a Numeric question using e-notation (as in legacy Quizzes), but the answer blank doesn't currently allow typing the letter "e" even with a "Precise response" Requirement. Is scientific notation on the roadmap?

Edited to add: Also see Scientific notation which is a thread about formula questions, which may already support e-notation or did at one time?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @RobDitto ‌,

Sorry for the late response here.

Scientific notation support is planned functionality that is not yet available. You are not alone in expecting it, and we understand it is an important feature.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @RobDitto ‌,

Sorry for the late response here.

Scientific notation support is planned functionality that is not yet available. You are not alone in expecting it, and we understand it is an important feature.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @RobDitto .  I'm going through older Quizzes.Next questions to see if any updates are appropriate.  It doesn't appear that any comments have been added to this thread since Kevin's reply in February.  Based on his reply, I am going to go ahead and mark this response as correct.  I hope you don't mind, and when marked as correct additional posts can be made in the thread if appropriate.

Best wishes!

kaw
Community Participant

Sad how Instructure ignores bugs pointed out by STEM instructors.

Answers less than 10^-4 cannot be had in formula questions. 

Numbers entered as less 10^-4 by student also change to zero.

Integers get changed to a real number with .0 being added.  Does not make sense when the answer is supposed to be an integer.

CANVAS has many limiting features that are bugs, not an action for a new idea.  As a programmer, I understand what can and cannot be done, but I have written programs that accept answers in decimal or scientific format in the same box in the 1990s.

fhernan
Community Member

No support for scientific notation in formula or numeric questions is ridiculous! We're in 2021! Canvas is totally crippled for STEM teaching 😞 We were forced to adopt Canvas in our institution (an Engineering Faculty!) but we were never told of these bugs.