cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer

Will Quizzes.next be released in course navigation or within Assignments?

Jump to solution

When the general release of Quizzes.next takes place, will it be available as it's own course navigation item, like Quizzes, or will it be left within Assignments where it has been offered during Beta?

At a presentation in the past (InstCon '16?), I remember it being mentioned that it would be called Assessments, or something like that, and available in the course navigation menu. I'm just wondering if that is still the plan.

In general, our faculty have noted how Assignments is not an intuitive name for where to place on-paper/non-submission gradebook items, like on-paper quizzes and exams. They interpret it as homework or project assignments, and it's not the place they think of going when they have a Quiz. I hope that we don't exacerbate the issue by placing/leaving Quizzes.next there as well. The Assignments catch-all might be intuitive from a Canvas development perspective, but it's the one example item that is consistently brought up when I delve deeper into an instructor saying that Canvas is not intuitive.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all,

In the immediate future, including directly following the general release, the button will remain on the assignments page. This is not a reflection of the points made in this thread, but simply a matter of prioritizing other work.

We agree that making the entry point options for Quizzes.Next should be improved. There are some good ideas in this thread which will inform how this is implemented.

I would like to ask for some feedback on the notion of using Quizzes.Next to build assignments that we don't normally think of as a quiz, but could be powered by the assessment engine, such as worksheets. Would you consider using Quizzes.Next this way?

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi vanzandt.  I agree that having Quizzes.Next under assignments is a bit confusing.  I often find myself clicking into Quizzes and then remembering it is the wrong location.  Just curious, but I wonder if it is possible to have it under the Quizzes tab instead of Assignments.  Is this not possible or are their downsides?  Until there is full parity between the old and new systems, our faculty will still need to create some assessments with the existing quiz engine as well as all of their surveys.  I would prefer to go to Quizzes and be able to see all of my quizzes and surveys in one location as opposed two separate tabs. 

On a related note, do your faculty use "assignments" for quizzes/exams given in class and do you see this changing with Quizzes.Next?  Are these quizzes given in-class using Canvas?   I have always suggested that our faculty create "assignments" for on-paper assessments so they can just type in the score later, but was wondering if others have a better plan in place!

Highlighted

Hi ericwerth‌, I agree!  I think making it available from within Quizzes would be the most intuitive location in the current interface. Then all they would need is to add an "On-paper Quiz" button, that would take in all of the "new assignment" info, and it could all be done in one place!

Re: do your faculty use "assignments" for quizzes/exams given in class

I don't see this changing with Quizzes.next. Our instructors still have concern with online quizzing, even in the classroom, due to cheating or the wireless/cell data infrastructure limitations in certain locations. They definitely use non-submission Assignments for tracking scores of on-paper assessments (quizzes/tests/exams) offered in class. Although, they feel it would be more intuitive to add these items directly in Grades (+ column) or in Quizzes, rather than Assignments. They don't consider them tests/exams/quizzes as "assignments".

Highlighted

Hi vanzandt, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and create an idea for the items we discussed.  If you would like to vote these up, the links are below.  Continued discussion of the ideas would be great as well!

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11680-move-quizzesnext-to-quizzes-tab 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11701-add-on-paper-as-submission-type-in-quizzesnext 

Highlighted

That's a great idea, ericwerth!  Thanks for adding those. I'll vote them up and promote them now.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all,

In the immediate future, including directly following the general release, the button will remain on the assignments page. This is not a reflection of the points made in this thread, but simply a matter of prioritizing other work.

We agree that making the entry point options for Quizzes.Next should be improved. There are some good ideas in this thread which will inform how this is implemented.

I would like to ask for some feedback on the notion of using Quizzes.Next to build assignments that we don't normally think of as a quiz, but could be powered by the assessment engine, such as worksheets. Would you consider using Quizzes.Next this way?

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi kdougherty@instructure.com.  We certainly we have individuals at our institution who would use Quizzes.Next this way, particularly if they could be downloaded into a printable file.  Most of our faculty teach F2F and frequently give assessments in class.  If they could create worksheets or quizzes these could be used for a variety of purposes such as makeup work or if students had particular needs that would be more easily accommodated with a printed file.  We encourage frequent assessment using a variety of methods and both quizzes and worksheets would be helpful! 

Highlighted

Hi kdougherty@instructure.com , and thank you for chiming in.

I am going to be the odd-man-out, and suggest something totally different. I would like to see the Quizzes menu item disappear, and the Assignments tab changed to "Assessments" since all graded activities (whether recorded in the gradebook or not), formative or summative, can be used to measure student achievement of the stated learning outcomes. In Canvas this would include quizzes, assignments and discussions. Having them all under one tab would then make sense. For convenience and gradebook organization, folks could then use the Groups feature to organize them in whatever manner is meaningful to them and their students.

I see no need to change how gradebook columns are created by adding an assignment shell, since this works very well for whatever type of graded activities are being utilized inside or outside of the Canvas environment (except Discussions, of course).

Kelley

Highlighted

Our College would be very interested in using the quizzes next for medical case studies. Being able to use the stem as a medical case (perhaps with images and xrays etc) and then being able to ask a number of questions about that case - would be a great way to use the engine for us.

BUT - as i have mentioned in other places - unless we can link from content pages directly to a quiz, and then back to the content (without a confusing exit to assignments) then Quizzes Next navigation will be a problem to us. This is because our 'members' are not students enrolled in a course, they are time poor professionals, who, if they don't get a good experience with us, are free to get their education elsewhere. Therefore user experience is everything to us - and all 'exits through assignments' will be of little use to us or our users.

Highlighted

I second Deactivated user‌'s qualification of downloading/printing quizzes and worksheets. At the K-12 level, especially in (most) districts that don't have a 1:1 student:computer ratio, teachers MUST be able to provide conventional paper assignments that don't require computers. This applies, as Eric mentioned, to students both in and out of the classroom. Although this is a long row to hoe, this is what Instructure should be prioritizing for its Canvas product.

Applying the #Quizzes.next assessment engine to worksheets is a brilliant leverage, but it has to deliver full functionality that teachers now have with its tangible analog, and add enough functionality that makes the paper analog truly obsolete.