Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lekern
Community Member

Will the Quizzes LTI allow copying a quiz within a course?

Jump to solution

In some cases, the same basic quiz, with some modifications, is given multiple times within a course. Is there (or will there be) a function for duplicating a quiz within a course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @lekern ‌,

Yes, there will be a function for duplicating a quiz within a course.

- Kevin

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @lekern ‌,

Yes, there will be a function for duplicating a quiz within a course.

- Kevin

dianelee
Community Participant

Will it be possible to copy questions within a quiz? 

Hi dianelee‌,

Copying a question within a quiz is under strong consideration. Currently if a teacher wanted to ask the same question twice, for example at the beginning and end of an assessment, they could add the item to an item bank and simply add it to the quiz more than once.

I'd like to understand how you envision using the ability to copy a question within a quiz. Can you share something about the motivating factors and how you think it would work best?

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

dianelee
Community Participant

Adding the question to an item bank and then adding the question from the item bank seems to be a lot of clicks. We don't have much luck training faculty and that would not be that intuitive to our users. If there was an option within the quiz question to duplicate it, it would require fewer clicks and be more obvious. 

I don't necessarily even see asking the same exact question, but a similar question. One could "copy" the question and then make minor content changes as needed. 

We specifically ran into an issue this month where a multiple dropdown question was created with 20+ dropdowns and 30+ answer choices in each dropdown. While Canvas allowed the question to be created and saved, when we tried to make an edit, the question would never save changes. It seemed that we had exceeded the max capacity for a single question but received no warning or error other than when we tried to make changes to the existing question. We decided to make each dropdown a separate question in order to not overload and break the quiz. It's very cumbersome to add answer choices. In Quizzes.next it would be great to create the question once, copy it and update the question text as the answer choices were the same across all questions.

I should note that we did use question banks when we split it up, but our questions were already automatically in the  bank and it required no extra steps to add the question to the bank. It appears in Quizzes.next you DO have to add the questions to the bank manually. I would still prefer not having to go to a separate location to copy a question as that seems the most intuitive option.

Thanks for asking,  @kdougherty1  .

shadwin
Community Member

I have tried several ways to duplicate or copy a quiz.  I usually find when I import or copy from a downloaded file, it will overwrite an existing quiz.   This is my situation.  I wish to have a daily quiz, the questions will be the same questions each day.  I would like to name them DP1, DP2, DP3......etc. for 40 .  I will have a total of 8 courses that I would like to use the "copy canvas course" in the import process, for those 40 assignments

shadwin
Community Member

This topic was very helpful and allowed me to add all my copied quizzes to my course.  https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/20777-re-uploading-a-quiz-in-a-course#comment-89151 

leward
Community Contributor

The Canvas Assignments tool has a "duplicate" option for quizzes created with Quizzes.Next.  I tried it today and it seemed to work.  Is there any known issues with copying a Quizzes.Next quiz in this manner?

@kdougherty1 ‌

I have a Chemistry teacher who, in our previous LMS, loved the feature of copying a quiz question.   She could, quickly and efficiently, create multiple versions of the same type of problem, by replacing a variable or two.  This let her create more randomized tests for security reasons, or for practice quizzes.  

Hi  @leward ‌,

Generally, this feature should work for you. There are some bugs we are working on, specifically when dealing with assessments containing banked stimulus. I would always advise that you review the duplicate for issues before putting it in front of students, but you can expect success.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure