cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbatiuk
Community Participant

Workarounds for no To Do activity in Quizzes.Next

Hi all,

Since the LTI functionality of Quizzes.Next prevents it from showing up on the To Do feed, has anyone found any effective strategies for helping teachers track when these quizzes are submitted? They are already trained to use To Do as the grading notification system, since all other graded assignments use it, but Quizzes.Next submissions disrupts the process where now they are having to check the gradebook, also. Any ideas for supporting this transition would be appreciated!

@clee7 ‌

14 Replies

@amanda_truman @tbatiuk The best solution I have found is to set quizzes that require any manual grading (i.e. essay questions) to a manual grade posting policy.  (The options are in the three dot menu on the quiz in gradebook).  That causes any new submissions to remain "hidden" and display an eye icon on both the student name and the quiz title.  You can then go to the three dot menu of a quiz with the eye icon to select speedgrader, or click on a cell where a student with the eye icon lines up with a quiz with an eye icon and click speedgrader in the slide out  grade tool. 

Once all of your current submissions have been graded, you can return to the three dot menu on the quiz in the gradebook, and select "post grades>graded."  Be aware that if you select "post  grades>everyone" even empty cells in that quiz will be "posted," and at that point you will not be able to use this method to identify new submissions that need grading. 

I prefer to wait until the quiz has locked to new submissions and grade all at once.  (For starters because the speedgrader does not indicate which new quiz attempts still need to be graded.)  Also, please be aware that this only works once.  If the quiz allows multiple attempts, you should wait until the quiz has locked to all new attempts before grading any of them. 

If you use a missing policy, and also accept late submissions, be aware that any zeros for missing submissions will be hidden and posted along with the rest of what you grade.  The posted zeros become a posted score, which means that the manual grading policy is no longer active in that cell.  If the student turns in a late submission in this case, you will not receive notification.  This is another reason that I wait until the quiz locks before grading any submissions at all.  (You can add assignment lock dates from the three dot menu of the quiz on the assignment tab.)

However, if you have multiple quizzes that students may submit in overlapping times, be aware that you could have one student with a hidden new score in quiz 1, and a second student in quiz 2, without an indicator which student needs grading in which quiz.  (Student 1 in quiz 2 or student 2 in quiz 1 do not need grading in this example, but you would have to check each to find the score that needs grading.)

It is not a perfect solution, but I set lock dates on my quizzes, and a manual grade posting policy, and do all my grading after the lock date, and always select "post grades>graded" after I have finished grading every submission received.

dhulsey
Community Champion

I am pretty amazed that there is still no solution to knowing whether you have quizzes to grade or not. I heard that you could not tell if you had submissions or not today and thought there is no way that can be true. I came here and have sadly found that this is true? You cannot tell if there are quiz submissions from your to do list? This seems like a major departure from the basic design philosophy of openness and transparency for both faculty and students. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

@dhulsey  Sadly it is still true.  I do not use the to-do list to track my grading, because canvas typically puts a convenient icon in place of a score for anything that has yet to be graded... except for new quizzes.  The course I built for my online students was used as a master course by other faculty this semester, and the zeros caused great confusion for them.  Even though I set the exams that required manual grading to manual grade posting, and included instructions for how to post grades after grading was finished, the faculty read the instructions and decided it would be faster and easier to post all the grades automatically... Then panicked questions about zeros as scores started coming in from students... and the faculty needed still more instructions for how to deal with that.  You can use "hide" to re-hide scores posted too early, as I suggested in this case, however if you grade early as assignments come in, and have zeros entered automatically, the only differentiation between a "missing" zero and a "grade pending" zero is the color coding used for missing.  That does not carry over to speedgrader, which cannot discern which new quizzes are pending grades.  Therefore teachers must examine every single submission every time they grade or else they must flip back and forth between speedgrader and the regular gradebook.  Which is not quite so speedy...  The coloring is so subtle that make-ups that have been given their own submission date are easily overlooked when they switch from a "missing" zero to a "grade pending" zero, and in any assignment group with dropped scores the zeros are automatically dropped, which hides the color coding entirely.  This really needs to be fixed before a large scale transition to new quizzes will be possible, and that is why I suggested that it be addressed as a part of the priority for expanding partial credit options to more question types here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/Quizzes-Planned-Priorities-and-Roadmap-2021/ba-p...

dhulsey
Community Champion

Thank you @Steven_S for the detailed response. This issue is giving me pause, and I was about to start transferring to new quizzes. I think I will hold off and hope this gets fixed in both the to do list and the gradebook. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

@dhulsey  If you are not using matching style questions, and you use until dates (at least on quizzes that require manual grading).  Then new quizzes work well and even resolve some issues that we had to work around in classic quizzes.  In that case, just turn on the manual grade posting and do not do the manual grading until after the until date.  That way you can go through the speedgrader once and grade all the submissions.  If you allow a differentiated due date for any individual students after you have graded, that is a detail you will still have to track carefully.  Also, if you share a master course there is more than normal communication with the other faculty about the manual grade posting policy required.

However, if you do not use until dates this solution does not work, and you will need to very carefully track all manually graded new quizzes for continual submissions from students. 

If you have some quizzes that do not need manual grading (and do not rely on partial credit for automatic grading), it would not hurt to migrate only those quizzes so that you can start adjusting to the new features, and contribute to conversations about what does and does not work at this point.  I have classic practice quizzes and graded new quizzes in the same course, and my students have not commented at all.  From their perspective it has been a smooth transition so far - except for the automatic zeros on manually graded questions.  Using a manual grade posting policy resolves that.