cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garrett_william
Community Participant

Control + K for Links

Are there any plans to restore the Control + K link ability to make a link open in a new window/tab?

This was a feature I used often.

OLD:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.17.56 PM.png

VS.

NEW:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.17.27 PM.png

6 Replies
mitchel_stimers
Community Member

Classic Canvas; it wasn't broke, so they fixed it for us! How nice of them! You can edit the HTML easily though, just add target=new to the <a> tag, I usually put it right at the end. FYI also, they moved the HTML/RTF switcharoo link, it is now under Format-->Code, so two clicks instead of one. Again, thank you, Canvas!

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 10.54.43 AM.png

adriennefan_arr
Community Participant

I appreciate that external links now default to opening in a new tab. Previously, I had to use Control + K (Cmd + K for Macs) to edit the target OR dive into the html because I nearly always prefer external links to open in a new tab. So, this feature of the New Rich Content Editor brings real time-savings to my workflow. However, I sometimes wish for Course Links to also open in a new tab. I am comfortable editing html for this purpose, but I would love to re-new the use of Control + K (Cmd + K) for this purpose instead of having to use html. 

traciebosket
Community Contributor

Thanks @garrett_william for bringing that up. It is one of the important issue for me. I used to use Control K all of the time.

I actually miss the ability to put a title in through the WYSIWYG editor. It's a little thing, but custom titles tend to make the content a bit more accessible...
bruni
Community Contributor

I'm tired of Canvas admin making changes to our LMS without first consulting, by legitimate, timely vote, the teachers who actually have to use this system. There's so much that can be done to make Canvas a very good product, but suggestions get lost in some list of ideas that teachers are supposed to take time to search through and vote on. Not gonna happen, and Canvas knows that. Before any changes are made, Canvas should put the question, highlighted for all to easily see and vote on. People who don't teach are making corporate-level decisions about our LMS.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@adriennefan_arr @garrett_william @bruni @CarynN @mitchel_stimers & @traciebosket , if you haven't already done so, please consider rating or commenting on this popular Idea Conversation: