cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Observer Ability To See if Assignment "Submitted" and / or Marked as "Done"

Perhaps this feature exists and I just haven't found it. My children's middle school is using Canvas and parents sign-up with Observer access. I can see the assignments, the assignment instructions, and text indicating whether the assignment is configured as a "submit" or "mark as done" assignment. I have not yet found a way (using my observer account) to see if my child has actually "submitted" something or marked something as done.  I also cannot review in read-only mode what was submitted. Please consider adding this capability. Since students are virtual 3 days and on-site 2 days, parents are expected to act as "teachers" to make sure kids are getting their work done on virtual days. Without this feature, I cannot fulfill my expected role in an effective manner.

23 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @DLA --

It's awesome you're coaching your student! It sounds like you are using the Canvas Parent app, is that true?

From the browser, you can access lots of information, including status, score, rubric, feedback, and a view of what was submitted!

How do I view the Grades page for a student as an observer? 

If you have any questions about the observer role or the differences between the browser and the Canvas Parent app, feel free to keep the conversation going. I'd be happy to collaborate!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks so much for the reply. One of my daughter's teachers is only using the "Module" functionality - grades are being posted in another application (and there's a delay).  I'd love the ability to see whether the work has been submitted in the observer Module view before it has even been graded.  It would allow me to monitor that assignments are being done without having my daughter have to show me in her account. It would give her a feeling of greater autonomy while allowing me to do what the school and teachers are asking me to do as a parent on virtual days. Thanks!

Highlighted

Thanks for the context! 

There IS a way, actually. However, the instructor would need to add the function by adding Module Requirements to each module. Students then can see checkmarks as they progress through content. It's nice for the teacher too.

While I'm not if/how you'd like to share that information, I'll show you what's possible:

How do I add requirements to a module? 

How do I use modules to view the progress of students in a course? 

How do I view Modules as a student? 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I should add -- The Canvas Parent app has a great weekly at-a-glance view that may help you as you navigate the instructor's sequencing.

What is the Canvas Parent app? 

How do I view the calendar of events and assignments for a student in the Canvas Parent app on my iO...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

My sixth grader is new to Canvas (and so am I).  I have paired my parent account to hers.  Please advise me as to the best way to find out which assignments  she still needs to complete.  I've been told  using the Calendar or the To Do list is not adequate for this task.  Also, I'm told some completed things on the calendar get crossed thru while others do not.  My daughter insists she's completed and turned in assignments I ask her about that I see not crossed out on the calendar or that are still listed on the To Do list.  So, how can I tell what she has left to do?  Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @shebull69 -

I think the calendar on the Canvas Parent app or the web is a great place to start! I also like the to-do list from the perspective of the student. It's a nice way to keep track of anything that a teacher has associated with a deadline. For your daughter, I encourage her to also look at the Assignments page. It's nicely organized into categories so she can keep track of what's past, what's coming up, and what's overdue. How do I view Assignments as a student? 

For observers, I especially like the Canvas Parent app's weekly calendar view because it says what has been submitted, been graded, or is late.

Additionally, you could use the Grades page for each course to see exactly what's scheduled and what has been turned in or received a score/feedback. There's a lot of information there. How do I view the Grades page for a student as an observer? 

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know. I'd be happy to collaborate! Canvas is a great tool. I know it's new, but stick with it! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hey there, jumping in.

It seems that none of my children's teachers are using "Assignments" as you have them described in the link above.

Seeing what is complete/submitted a glance is what I'm after and what would help my kids too. Digging through and opening every assignment to ensure that what is in the to-do list, on the calendar, in the modules, on the dashboard, or in some other spot yet to be discovered as our teachers learn to navigate all of this too, means that we are spending a significant amount of time ensuring that every assignment is complete. 

We can see the assignment, the due date, and the points, but without opening it we can't see that it is done. 

This problem is exacerbated by the weeks of already completed assignments that are piling up within the modules and burying the current week's assignments.

A simple checkmark, or "submitted," or "complete," or your favorite emoji indicating at a glance, without a single extra click, that an assignment is 'done' would be a huge help and save much time and frustration as we organize our daily and weekly tasks. 

Bonus: it would be great if assignments could be sorted by done and not done as well so that those yet to be done rise to the top of the pile. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Mike92 -

Have you explored the Canvas Parent app? There's a weekly view that you may find really helpful!

On the grades page, there are symbols that help you identify what has been submitted and what has not, but the Canvas Parent app is color-coded!

How do I view the Grades page for a student as an observer? 

How are your students' teachers sharing assignments? Anything that has points associated with it would be listed under Assignments for both students and observers.

0 Kudos