cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

1.32 for a Pass/Mastery?

Jump to solution

Hi, In the gradebook, one participant has received a Pass/Mastery but the grade appears as 1.32 rather than 1. Do you know why this is and how to fix?

Thanks

Emilie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello,

Yes I got an answer which I didn’t understand fully, but I think I’ve found what the issue was. It seems the grader entered the grade in incorrectly – not sure why it came out as 1.32. But we’ve re-entered as 1 and it’s now fine.

Thanks

Emilie

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

emiliejane.armstrong@imd.org‌, did you ever figure out the answer to your question? The Mastery Gradebook can be tricky and my recommendation is if you're still having problems you should contact Canvas Support. You can do this by clicking on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Highlighted

Hello,

Yes I got an answer which I didn’t understand fully, but I think I’ve found what the issue was. It seems the grader entered the grade in incorrectly – not sure why it came out as 1.32. But we’ve re-entered as 1 and it’s now fine.

Thanks

Emilie

View solution in original post

Navigator

emiliejane.armstrong@imd.org 

There are a couple of Canvas Guides that may help understand.

My first guess is that you have multiple items for an outcome and that you're set to use the Decaying Average for the calculation.

The average of the assessments that go into that outcome have come up with an average of 1.32. Then, because you have "Pass / Mastery" set to 1 and "Outstanding" set to 2. 1.32 is above Pass / Mastery at 1, but not close enough (or meeting??) the 2, so it shows Pass / Mastery.

It's been a while since I looked at it (Summer 2015), but at that point, there was no way to switch an outcome's calculation after it was in use. The documentation in the first guide says in a couple of places that you can set the calculation method when you create the outcome, but doesn't mention anything about changing it afterwards.