Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
traciebosket
Explorer II

A COMMONS Import

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I have been trying to import a great course from the Commons. I have tried to import it directly from the Commons and I also tried exporting to my computer and then Uploading/Importing into my course shell. Every time I do it, my shell says that it is completed but nothing shows up. I have done this multiple times and even waited for days. It is an excellent course! The instructor who created it. presented it at the Online Teaching Conference and was kind enough to upload it onto the Commons. Do you know if there is something that maybe going wrong with importing this course?

The course is

Using, Creating & Playing with Visuals Online

from Teresa Tarazi

Thank you,

Tracie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

traciebosket, as it turns out, this is a very large course. I tried importing this Commons course into a blank course shell using both of the methods you described. When I tried the direct copy, nothing happened. However, when I downloaded the .imscc file and tried to import it into the blank course, I immediately received the following error message: "Your migration cannot exceed 500.0 MB." (The file is 1.59 GB.) I suspect this is the problem, in that the storage quota that is set for the course shell is indeed 500 MB.

In order to remedy this, you or your school's admin will need to increase the quota for the specific course shell into which you're importing this course. I was able to go into the settings for the course and increase the quota to 2000 MB, and once I did that, the import ran smoothly, although it took nearly an hour. Increasing the storage limit to 1600 MB wasn't enough; the import still threw an error.

It is a nice course! Most of the course content consists of videos, as you might imagine, and if it were me, and assuming this is possible, I'd host the videos externally and link to them so that people don't run into the same problem you did with the course import (and I left a review to that effect in Commons), inasmuch as most Canvas users are limited to 500 MB.

The course files quota setting that I changed might only be available to admins--so if you don't see it under More options in your course settings, check with your school's Canvas admin to see if they're willing to increase the storage quota for this particular course.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello traciebosket​...

There are a couple things I noticed about the content that Teresa shared to Canvas Commons.  First, the content size is about 1.71GB.  I'm not sure if there is a size limitation for sharing content to Commons, but this *might* be a factor (?).  Also, I noticed that the icon for the content you've referenced in your above posting is actually showing as a "Module" and not a "Course" in Canvas Commons.  After you have tried to import the content from Canvas Commons to your course, have you clicked on your "Modules" button in your course to see if the module is listed there?  Those are the only two things I can think of at the moment, so I would be curious to know what you find out from your end.  Please keep us updated...thanks, Tracie!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

traciebosket, as it turns out, this is a very large course. I tried importing this Commons course into a blank course shell using both of the methods you described. When I tried the direct copy, nothing happened. However, when I downloaded the .imscc file and tried to import it into the blank course, I immediately received the following error message: "Your migration cannot exceed 500.0 MB." (The file is 1.59 GB.) I suspect this is the problem, in that the storage quota that is set for the course shell is indeed 500 MB.

In order to remedy this, you or your school's admin will need to increase the quota for the specific course shell into which you're importing this course. I was able to go into the settings for the course and increase the quota to 2000 MB, and once I did that, the import ran smoothly, although it took nearly an hour. Increasing the storage limit to 1600 MB wasn't enough; the import still threw an error.

It is a nice course! Most of the course content consists of videos, as you might imagine, and if it were me, and assuming this is possible, I'd host the videos externally and link to them so that people don't run into the same problem you did with the course import (and I left a review to that effect in Commons), inasmuch as most Canvas users are limited to 500 MB.

The course files quota setting that I changed might only be available to admins--so if you don't see it under More options in your course settings, check with your school's Canvas admin to see if they're willing to increase the storage quota for this particular course.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

stefaniesanders​ or traciebosket​, could you send this feedback to the person who posted this in Commons so that way they can add a note to the course in Commons letting people know what they'll need to do to get the course to download?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

(and I left a review to that effect in Commons)

See above. Done. Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sorry!! Missed that!!!

traciebosket
Explorer II

Thanks everyone!

Okay guys, so all of it worked...

I. I increased the storage size (to 500,000MB haha)

2. You were right, I didn't check the modules. And yes, the module is there!

3. Yes, good point of streaming. I will download them via RealPlayer then send them to 3CMediaSolutions for captioning.  (I already download videos that I want to use in case the streamed version is removed or something.)

Okay, do you guys have any ideas about the two things below...

1. I can't tell which some of the videos are streaming or uploaded

imported 4.png

2. You can tell that the images are there, but they don't show up.

imported 5.png

traciebosket​, I did not see those image files when I navigated to the Files area of the course, so it looks like some broken links came along in the import. Also, from your first screenshot I can't see where exactly you are in the course. Having said that, if you don't find the video file in the Files area, it must be being hosted externally.

I recommend that you navigate to the course in Commons and direct these questions to Teresa Tarazi in the form of a review.

traciebosket
Explorer II

Yes you are right stefaniesanders​ I'll ask her.

the page I was looking at is "Creating Visuals: Utilizing Today's Tech-Savvy Student"

OK, traciebosket, thanks for that additional info. You should be able to inspect the HTML view of that page to see the source of each of the items, as I noticed that they vary. Some (with the ungainly looking icons) appear to have been uploaded or recorded directly through the media comment tool in Canvas.