Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

A Truly Anonymous Quiz?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Last semester my team designed an anonymous quiz which was imported to all courses via an API.  The quiz/survey was to be anonymous and inserted into every course. Students could take the survey and submit it to the faculty member in each course anonymously which would give the faculty some feedback on how the course is going. 
A faculty member pointed out (and we verified) that the survey was not entirely anonymous, that you can still identify which student had take the survey. 

In doing this exercise, we have confirmed that, although (on the “moderate quiz” page) it does not show individual students names, the names DO appear in the exact same order (alphabetical) as they do under the “people” tab. Our test had the 29th person on the roster for this course and am the only person who has completed the survey thus far. Lo and behold, Student 29 is the one and only person who has taken the survey. So it was fairly simple to match up who had taken the survey, and this violated student anonymity.

Is there any recommendation on how to push a true anonymous survey to all courses which can be submitted to the teacher in each course? It would need to be anonymous and show who completed it in a jumbled order which doesn't match the People tool?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

The only way I can think of avoiding the moderation page issue in Canvas is to have the quiz (survey) reside in another course and have a way in the survey for students to identify which course they are evaluating. Otherwise, I think you'll want to use a tool more specifically designed for anonymous surveys such as Alliance Partner - EvaluationKit‌ (this is what we use).

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure of an answer to this, but I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=1e865b1f-8b1f-4b3b-86af-7b4441a8a25...‌ to see if someone there can help.

Highlighted

Any word on this? Our faculty would like to use the Canvas quiz tool to do mid-term evaluations of their teaching in each course.  Thanks, Kate

Highlighted

The only way I can think of avoiding the moderation page issue in Canvas is to have the quiz (survey) reside in another course and have a way in the survey for students to identify which course they are evaluating. Otherwise, I think you'll want to use a tool more specifically designed for anonymous surveys such as Alliance Partner - EvaluationKit‌ (this is what we use).

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Instructure should call this possibly anonymous. I think it is totally unethical to have a tool that students think is anonymous, yet the teacher could switch it after the fact.

Highlighted

Hello,

Agreed. It is unfortunate that Instructure doesn’t have an answer to such a basic feature.

Mike

Highlighted

This reply is marked as a Correct Answer to the original post. Does your first suggestion work in creating a "true" anonymous quiz?

Highlighted
Adventurer

It is worth noting that the "Keep Submissions Anonymous" checkbox can be unchecked, even after a student has submitted the survey, which completely destroys the whole facade of Canvas survey anonymity.  I would strongly recommend not using Canvas quizzing for anonymous surveys - especially for anything as high stakes as course/instructor evaluations.

Highlighted

I just figured this out myself and was also bothered by it. Hoping this will be addressed in quizzes next.

Highlighted

Our customer success manager says there are no immediate plans to add anonymity to Quizzes.Next. We are planning Assignments for takehome law finals which better supports anonymity but would have liked to use Quizzes instead because then we could add a timer and students could start at any time.