cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

A photo for my Home page

Jump to solution

How can I insert a photo or video clip in my first page of home page?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Team
Community Team

elray.clarkson@reedleycollege.edu​, you can add images and videos to any Canvas page that incorporates the Rich Content Editor (RCE), so the instructions for this will be the same whether you're embedding content on the home page or on another content page.

These are the options for course home page:

home-page-options.png

If you choose Course Activity Stream, Course Modules, or Assignments List, the RCE will not be available. If you want your course home page to include images and/or embedded video, then, you'll need to use either a Page you've designed yourself or the Syllabus Page.

Once you've made that choice, follow the instructions in these guides to add images to your page using the content selector: How do I insert course images into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector?  You can record a video on the fly using the Video Clip icon in the RCE (How do I record a video using the Rich Content Editor? ), you can upload a video through the RCE also using the Video Clip icon (How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor? ), or you can embed a video from any site that supports embed code (I like to use YouTube for my videos).

The possibilities for designing a course home page in Canvas are endless, so I hope you'll have a look at the vast array of resources available in the Instructional Designers​ group; if you're not yet a member, it only takes a few clicks to join. I also wrote a blog on the subject of course home pages, and you might find some design ideas there: Creating an inviting course home page

Good luck designing your Canvas course!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Community Team
Community Team

elray.clarkson@reedleycollege.edu​, you can add images and videos to any Canvas page that incorporates the Rich Content Editor (RCE), so the instructions for this will be the same whether you're embedding content on the home page or on another content page.

These are the options for course home page:

home-page-options.png

If you choose Course Activity Stream, Course Modules, or Assignments List, the RCE will not be available. If you want your course home page to include images and/or embedded video, then, you'll need to use either a Page you've designed yourself or the Syllabus Page.

Once you've made that choice, follow the instructions in these guides to add images to your page using the content selector: How do I insert course images into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector?  You can record a video on the fly using the Video Clip icon in the RCE (How do I record a video using the Rich Content Editor? ), you can upload a video through the RCE also using the Video Clip icon (How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor? ), or you can embed a video from any site that supports embed code (I like to use YouTube for my videos).

The possibilities for designing a course home page in Canvas are endless, so I hope you'll have a look at the vast array of resources available in the Instructional Designers​ group; if you're not yet a member, it only takes a few clicks to join. I also wrote a blog on the subject of course home pages, and you might find some design ideas there: Creating an inviting course home page

Good luck designing your Canvas course!

View solution in original post