cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

API Documentation for New Gradebook

Hi all

I'm wondering with the new gradebook if there is new API documentation? I've looked through the API documentation and didn't see anything specific for the new gradebook. Like many others, we've connected Canvas to our SIS via API and wondering how the new gradebook impacts this connection.

Thanks for any assistance!

Tiffany

6 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi tiffany.morgan@iptv.org.  This is a good question. Unfortunately I can't answer this but I am going to share this question with our Canvas Developers‌ and Canvas Admins‌ user groups in hopes that some of the great folks there have helpful insight.

All the best!

Highlighted
Navigator

tiffany.morgan@iptv.org 

Not really. There are some new fields related to the late / missing policies, but generally the new gradebook is a change to the way that things are displayed, not the way the underlying data is handled. There wasn't really a Gradebook API before, other than for gradebook history. You still use the submissions API to get the actual grades. 

I'll add that Canvas documents API changes. The first link below contains the four most recent releases, but it also contains the second link to the older releases.

Highlighted
Surveyor

A pretty significant difference between the two gradebooks is that there is no longer a "final grade" view where missing grades are treated as 0's in the new gradebook.      That corresponded with the "final_score" in the Enrollments API.   If you are using the new gradebook, you'll want to use the "current_score" to have what your API extracts visually match what your teachers and students are seeing.   

Additionally, there is a new override_score, which may appear if your teachers enable the Override Grades option of the new gradebook.   You'll need to check for the presence of this API value, and adjust your logic to deal with it accordingly.    If teachers override a grade, then there will be Three data points in the Enrollments API results, current_score, final_score(not relevant with new gradebook), and override_score.    If the teacher didn't override a students score, there will not be an override_score data point.   

The override_score is NOT currently documented in the Enrollments API.  I found it by trial and error.  

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks everyone! This is incredibly helpful. I'm waiting to hear back from our SIS provider to confirm the field their download plugin is using for displaying course total grade. Once I have that I'm hopeful I can use all this new info to help provide them some guidance, if needed, for any necessary updates. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi tiffany.morgan@iptv.org  I was looking through older questions to see if updates are appropriate.  It looks like you were able to get your question answered and there hasn't been a post here for a while, so I am going to mark this as "assumed answered".  This doesn't change the ability for anyone to continue posting here if desired and the status can be changed at some point later if needed.

All the best!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks for posting about the 'override_score'.  Did you see any evidence that the 'override_score' is *not* reflected in the current_score/current_grade? Our Canvas CSM told us recently that any grade overrides *are* reflected in the current_score/current_grade, so I'd like to understand if this conflicts with your findings. Thanks!