cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julie_garner
Community Member

Ability to Mark Announcements as Read?

Jump to solution

Students tell me that even after they have read announcements, Canvas continues to note that there are new announcements. Is there a way to modify that? Either something the instructor or the student can do?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @julie_garner and welcome to the Canvas Community!  Is the indication that students are referring to the colored dot next to new announcements that have not been viewed or the new announcement notice on the course card visible on their dashboard?  I just checked in one of my classes and if I view an announcement and then use the back button to return to the announcement list, the colored dot remains visible unless I refresh the page.  If I view an announcement and then click on the announcements tab again or the announcements link in the navigation "breadcrumbs" list at the top of the page the colored dot disappears as expected.  There are times when changes to pages/content aren't apparent unless someone clears their browser cache and which web browser someone uses can also make a difference (Chrome and Firefox are my favorite).  I am not aware of any "mark all as read" option for announcements, but it may be worth asking students if they are using the back button and seeing the issue, as well as suggesting they log off/on or try in a different browser to see if the problem persists.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @julie_garner and welcome to the Canvas Community!  Is the indication that students are referring to the colored dot next to new announcements that have not been viewed or the new announcement notice on the course card visible on their dashboard?  I just checked in one of my classes and if I view an announcement and then use the back button to return to the announcement list, the colored dot remains visible unless I refresh the page.  If I view an announcement and then click on the announcements tab again or the announcements link in the navigation "breadcrumbs" list at the top of the page the colored dot disappears as expected.  There are times when changes to pages/content aren't apparent unless someone clears their browser cache and which web browser someone uses can also make a difference (Chrome and Firefox are my favorite).  I am not aware of any "mark all as read" option for announcements, but it may be worth asking students if they are using the back button and seeing the issue, as well as suggesting they log off/on or try in a different browser to see if the problem persists.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

i_s_bijl
Community Member

As a student I would also appreciate an easy 'mark as read' button for the announcements.

Hi,

This feature is all the more becoming important. Can all teachers interfaces have the same feature as well? 

Thank you,

Shekinah.