Access denied happening - even when content published

Jump to solution
anita_wood
Community Novice

Hi Canvas Users,

I've been using canvas for a while, and usually I am a fan. But I am literally about to tear my hair out and cry.

What is happening with the access denied messages?

I create content - but when my students try to access it, they get an access denied message. 

Everything is published with correct copyright settings etc. Same processes I've followed for years now.

At first it seemed it was wiping out just the ipad app. BUT now its happening sporadically all over the place!

It took canvas weeks to get back to me and look at this issue properly. Moving stuff to modules seems to help, but doesn't solve all pages.

HELP! Anyone found a solution??????

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@anita_wood  

Without seeing exactly how your course is set up it's hard to make recommendations for troubleshooting.

Glad that putting things into modules was helpful.  Do you recall why that was a suggestion to solve the problem?

View solution in original post

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the reply. 

Unfortunately, this issue went on for about 3 weeks with me being told firstly, that the helpdesk team needed to locate an ipad to help with my issue (which seemed to take weeks), and then I was told 'they were not able to recreate my issue' and marked my case as closed. Thankfully, I reopened the case, and the suggestion of modules was given to me by one of the Canvas helpdesk team. They admitted they could see a fault with the app and would pass it on to the mobile team. I know the Canvas team are under the pump, but the delays in getting this sorted has done a lot of damage to Canvas' reputation within our school community. 

On Friday, I had the same thing happen. Students were receiving access denied messages all over the place. When I used my son's Canvas account I was also able to recreate this issue. When I contacted the help desk I received this 

Hi,

Your Canvas Support case 05806968 has been set to a "solved" status. If you'd like to reopen this case, please reply to this email message.

As a reminder, the subject line on this case was: Unpublished Pages

You described your issue or question like this:

Teacher was wondering why their students were getting Access Denied pages. tbh they had way too many custom css button links.

How many buttons are too many? I use canvas for young students and usually have four on a page? I've had other canvas users say that they don't think my page has too many buttons and were puzzled with the help desk response. 

I'm pretty disappointed with the helpdesk support at the moment. I'm happy to know if I'm doing something wrong, so that I can learn and fix it. But they seem very quick to move things to 'solved'.

Cheers,

Anita

View solution in original post

0 Likes