cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbyoung1
Community Member

Accessing Attachments/ Submissions

Jump to solution

1) I have several students who have "attached" documents in the email of Canvas that are not showing up for me- there does not seem to be any attachment and it looks just like a basic message.  How can I access these?

2) I have a student who says she submitted an assignment and on her end it says everything is submitted, on my end there seems to be nothing (screen shot below).  Is there a setting change that I need to make? Any other ways to problem solve this?

pastedImage_1.1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Meara,

Regarding the student who said they sent you an attachment via the inbox; is is possible that the student was not working in Canvas but instead replied to the email notification outside of Canvas and attached a file to that reply?  By default when you send someone an inbox message inside Canvas they receive a notification outside of Canvas in their primary email address.  They can reply to this notification and their reply will go back into Canvas for the original sender to see.  This is pretty convenient as the recipient doesn't have to log back into Canvas to reply but one unfortunate aspect is that if someone attaches a file to their emailed reply it will be stripped away before the reply makes it back into Canvas.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mbyoung1 ​...

1) I have several students who have "attached" documents in the email of Canvas that are not showing up for me- there does not seem to be any attachment and it looks just like a basic message.  How can I access these?

Could you please describe what kind(s) of attachments your students are trying to send you through the messaging/conversations (a.k.a. Inbox) of Canvas?  Are they standard documents like Office documents?  Or, are they more specialized for use with a specific piece of software?

2) I have a student who says she submitted an assignment and on her end it says everything is submitted, on my end there seems to be nothing (screen shot below).  Is there a setting change that I need to make? Any other ways to problem solve this?

To confirm, is your Canvas assignment set up to receive attachments?  Are you using a third-party LTI app (which may not show the submissions in SpeedGrader)?  Could you describe, in detail, the assignment settings you currently have selected?  Maybe there is a setting that needs changing.  Any additional help or screen shots would be great.  Thanks!

mbyoung1
Community Member

Thanks for the reply.  I am new to Canvas and never had a full training, so I apologize for my lack of info!  I will do my best to include more info.

1) This happened with several students who sent a reply to a message I sent out- he says he attached it "here" but I don't see any links to attachments in the thread.  It's an issue with receiving, not sending, attachments:

2) After your questions, I went and checked the assignment settings. Originally "File Upload" was the only option checked so I checked the others.  I've had over 20 students successfully upload power points as well as word documents with no problem and I was able to grade these submitted assignments.  Currently, one student is claiming she submitted two assignments (see "Kate Bradley") but there seem to be no submissions for her under Lesson Plan or Math Autobiography.

Hi  @mbyoung1 ​...

1) This happened with several students who sent a reply to a message I sent out- he says he attached it "here" but I don't see any links to attachments in the thread. It's an issue with receiving, not sending, attachments:

I tested out sending an attachment as part of a message through the inbox (student to instructor), and this is the result when I viewed it:

TestMessage.jpg

I'm not exactly sure why you wouldn't be seeing any attachments included with the message(s) from your student(s).  I would recommend that you contact the Instructure Help Desk staff about this.  You can click on the "Help" link at the top right corner of Canvas.  Or, if you are using the new Canvas UI (User Interface), the "Help" icon will be at the bottom left corner of your screen.  In either case, be sure to have the message displayed on your screen before clicking "Help" because when you "Report a Problem", it will send some additional metadata behind the scenes to the Help Desk staff so they can help you troubleshoot.

2) After your questions, I went and checked the assignment settings. Originally "File Upload" was the only option checked so I checked the others. I've had over 20 students successfully upload power points as well as word documents with no problem and I was able to grade these submitted assignments. Currently, one student is claiming she submitted two assignments (see "Kate Bradley") but there seem to be no submissions for her under Lesson Plan or Math Autobiography.

Out of curiosity, have you checked the "Student Interactions Report" to see if the student has actually viewed the assignment?  If you go to "People", then click on the student's name, and then click on "Access Report for [name]", you might be able to get some additional details on here.

Hope this helps!

mbyoung1
Community Member

Regarding my 2)

This is what comes up with her report- it appears as if she's been in the assignment, right?:

Yes...I would agree.  Can you contact anyone at your school who is a Canvas admin on Monday to see if that person can masquerade as the student and determine if the student actually submitted anything for either of those assignments?

@mbyoung1 ​...

As an FYI for you, I wanted to let you know that I edited one of your attached images (the one that was from your gradebook with student names).  I blacked out the student names and grades so that they cannot be seen by others here in the Community.  The reasons for this mainly center around FERPA.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Meara,

Regarding the student who said they sent you an attachment via the inbox; is is possible that the student was not working in Canvas but instead replied to the email notification outside of Canvas and attached a file to that reply?  By default when you send someone an inbox message inside Canvas they receive a notification outside of Canvas in their primary email address.  They can reply to this notification and their reply will go back into Canvas for the original sender to see.  This is pretty convenient as the recipient doesn't have to log back into Canvas to reply but one unfortunate aspect is that if someone attaches a file to their emailed reply it will be stripped away before the reply makes it back into Canvas.

View solution in original post

Thank you- that is exactly what happened. They replied to a message I sent. Thanks! At this point I have had them resend the attachments but moving forward I will know why those weren't working.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Sorry that this 'gotcha' aspect of the software caught your student and caused confusion but I'm glad you know what happened now.