cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer II

Account Level Question Banks and Permissions

Jump to solution

First Question

We found out a bit late that you can share question banks with multiple courses by letting teachers have (sub) admin account rights. Unfortunately we cannot find a way to then convert the question bank previously linked to a course so that it is now visible through an account! Can it be done?

Second Question

I am a little concerned giving teacher admin rights. Is there a way that we can tweak the permissions that allows teachers to have access to account question banks without all the other stuff thrown in?

Many thanks for any answers forthcoming...

More than likely I have found an answer to this via this idea - " modifiedtitle="true" title="Import Questions

Definitely something that Canvas could do with improving upon...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hi Gideon - "View and Link to Question Banks" IS an account-level permission that can be enabled at the sub-account level.  Take a look here: What are the differences between course-level roles and account-level roles?   and be sure to click the link on that page towards the top called "account role" that will, in turn, open a PDF document that gives additional descriptions of what each account role entails.  You will see that one of them is "View and Link to Question Banks."  We have not had faculty manage test banks yet, so I cannot speak to this with much experience.  (Most of our sub-account administrators are in the business of creating Outcomes.)  Suggestion:  try this on your TEST environment (How do I access the Canvas test environment? ) and then (if you are an administrator) "masquerade" as one of the faculty members in question to see what they can or cannot do just to be 100% sure of what they may be up to!  Don't forget that you or your Canvas administrator can also create specific roles for an account that do not necessarily give them the proverbial keys to the kingdom.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Community Member

Hi Gideon - "View and Link to Question Banks" IS an account-level permission that can be enabled at the sub-account level.  Take a look here: What are the differences between course-level roles and account-level roles?   and be sure to click the link on that page towards the top called "account role" that will, in turn, open a PDF document that gives additional descriptions of what each account role entails.  You will see that one of them is "View and Link to Question Banks."  We have not had faculty manage test banks yet, so I cannot speak to this with much experience.  (Most of our sub-account administrators are in the business of creating Outcomes.)  Suggestion:  try this on your TEST environment (How do I access the Canvas test environment? ) and then (if you are an administrator) "masquerade" as one of the faculty members in question to see what they can or cannot do just to be 100% sure of what they may be up to!  Don't forget that you or your Canvas administrator can also create specific roles for an account that do not necessarily give them the proverbial keys to the kingdom.

View solution in original post

Thank you Ken