Highlighted
Community Member

Add teacher course

Jump to solution

How can I invite a teacher to my course?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi monica.petersson@ped.gu.se  and welcome to the Community!  This document describes how someone with a "teacher" role can add individuals to their course, How do I add users to a course?.  As the document describes, this is a permission that institutions can allow or disallow.  At my institution, teachers can add other teachers to their course but cannot add someone in a student role or custom roles we have created based on a student role.  Canvas is set up this way because we want to ensure that anyone taking a course goes though the formal registration (or drop) procedure, but we are not concerned about teachers adding one another to a course for various reasons.

You might check and see if adding a teacher to your course is an option.  If so then when added the other teacher will get an invitation to participate in the course which they can accept/reject.  However, if you cannot add people to your course you would need to contact someone with Canvas admin rights to accomplish this.  You might consider contacting an admin either way to see if there is a preferred process for additions to courses at your institution.

I hoe this helps and best wishes! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi monica.petersson@ped.gu.se  and welcome to the Community!  This document describes how someone with a "teacher" role can add individuals to their course, How do I add users to a course?.  As the document describes, this is a permission that institutions can allow or disallow.  At my institution, teachers can add other teachers to their course but cannot add someone in a student role or custom roles we have created based on a student role.  Canvas is set up this way because we want to ensure that anyone taking a course goes though the formal registration (or drop) procedure, but we are not concerned about teachers adding one another to a course for various reasons.

You might check and see if adding a teacher to your course is an option.  If so then when added the other teacher will get an invitation to participate in the course which they can accept/reject.  However, if you cannot add people to your course you would need to contact someone with Canvas admin rights to accomplish this.  You might consider contacting an admin either way to see if there is a preferred process for additions to courses at your institution.

I hoe this helps and best wishes! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hello Monica,

At the very least it looks like at your institution the Add People option is not completely turned off for teachers:

roster view in Canvas

Labels