cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Adding a left sidebar link

Jump to solution

Can I add links, such as a Library link, to the left sidebar? (the blue colored bar with Account, Dashboard, Courses, inbox, etc.? When there is a long list of discussion board posts, I find I have to scroll to the top of the page to get to a library link.  It would be nice to have an easy access link to the library no matter where you are on a page. 

Thanks

Terri

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thank you for all the replies from Canvas.  I am not a teacher or admin, I am a student. I thought it would be useful to have the flexibility to add additional links to the side bar that is visible at all times. Blackboard allowed that and I guess I got used to it. I find myself scrolling a lot through discussion board (and other) pages or navigating laboriously between various parts of the modules. It can be a bit tedious. You may wish to consider allowing students to add always visible shortcut links as an option for future Canvas users. It would make the interface a bit more user friendly. Just my opinion! 

Thanks again for your help, 
Terri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sa200075@atsu.edu , and  Welcome  to the Canvas Community!

I know that is can be done, but I do not know how it is done. So I will share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group where that expertise lives.

I hope someone has a good answer for you.

Kelley

Highlighted
Explorer

Hi sa200075@atsu.edu
This can be done but not by a course teacher so that the link appears within a specific course. It can only be done by an admin at system level so the link appears on the global menu whichever course you're viewing. I'm assuming you're a course teacher rather than an admin? If that's correct then you might consider speaking to your local Canvas administrator for assistance. It's not a straightforward task and requires a bit of programming knowledge. Admins have access to a feature called the "theme editor" which allows them to customise Canvas by defining colours of buttons, links etc and if they're feeling particularly adventurous they can also upload a custom Javascript file to add extra elements to the screen. We have some code that adds an extra link to our global menu - you basically need a Javascript function that defines the text label for the new link, an icon and the URL that it points to. The code was written by a colleague who no longer works here so I can't fully explain how it works but I'm happy to share it if you have someone with programming skill who might understand how to use it.

Highlighted

Thank you for all the replies from Canvas.  I am not a teacher or admin, I am a student. I thought it would be useful to have the flexibility to add additional links to the side bar that is visible at all times. Blackboard allowed that and I guess I got used to it. I find myself scrolling a lot through discussion board (and other) pages or navigating laboriously between various parts of the modules. It can be a bit tedious. You may wish to consider allowing students to add always visible shortcut links as an option for future Canvas users. It would make the interface a bit more user friendly. Just my opinion! 

Thanks again for your help, 
Terri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Terri,

Here are some resources you can give to your Canvas Admins if you are not and Admin for your school.

Has anyone been working on scripts for the new Beta UI?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/13627-help-with-custom-menu-icons-and-script 

Hope these help.