cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmack
Community Member

Adding a percent extra credit to overall grade

My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I was unable to find it by searching the Q/A or documentation.

I have a professor who wants to add a specific percentage of extra credit to the overall grade in a weighted gradebook (not as a part of a sub-group).  For example, they want to create a 25 point assignment that is 5% extra credit to the overall grade.  It seems to me that we could just create an extra group that adds the desired percentage over 100% to count as extra credit.  (see below)

191962_pastedImage_0.png

I did some tests and it came out to the expected grade, however I wanted to ask the community if this was indeed the correct way to set up an extra credit assignment.  We've been burned in the past with extra credit in Moodle and I'm hesitant to train my professors in this way before it is thoroughly vetted.

Thanks for your help!

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wmack ​, it's good to be cautious! Overall yes, this will work, but there are a few things you might want to think about before explaining this to your Instructors. I recommend checking out the following document - Extra credit using weighted assignment groups.

Hope this helps!

wmack
Community Member

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Very good! Glad I could help! In general when you're searching for something you might also want to try a "general" everything search - just click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the page. The results can sometimes be overwhelming, but if I'm really not sure what I'm looking for or if it's in a guide then I find this to be the most helpful!