cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Adding, approving and locking avatars via the API

Jump to solution

Hi Community,

I am posting as the API documentation doesn't mention the 'approve' and 'lock' functionality that the admin web interface has for student avatars.

My desired outcome is to modify student avatars and lock them so they cannot be changed by students - I need to do this from the API.

I would also like the avatar image source to remain private and am wondering about the following:

- Does Canvas do any caching for the avatar images or are they loaded from the URL each time?

- If I host the avatar images on the school campus, and only allow access from the school network, how gracefully will the avatar image fail outside of the school network?

Thanks,

Brad

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructure
Instructure

It isn't currently possible to approve or lock user avatars via the Canvas API.

One way to keep the avatar images private is to upload them into Canvas rather than linking to an external URL. A sample of this being done can be seen in a community script in Github at canvas-contrib/bulk_upload_avatars.py at master · kajigga/canvas-contrib · GitHub.

Canvas doesn't otherwise do any caching of these avatar images. If the image is only available on the local network then it would display as a broken image outside if the network.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Adventurer

- If I host the avatar images on the school campus, and only allow access from the school network, how gracefully will the avatar image fail outside of the school network?

One way to test for this would be to host an image somewhere at a URL you control, load that image into Canvas, then delete the image at that URL.   You'll see what it would look like to Canvas is the image was blocked by your school firewalls.

Glen

Community Member

I realise I can test this myself, but was looking for advice from administrators with experience in this scenario before I devoted any time to implementing a solution. Regardless, thank you for your response Glen.

Brad

Community Member

Deactivated user​ do you have someone on your team that could offer some direction to bniessen@trinity.nsw.edu.au​?

Instructure
Instructure

It isn't currently possible to approve or lock user avatars via the Canvas API.

One way to keep the avatar images private is to upload them into Canvas rather than linking to an external URL. A sample of this being done can be seen in a community script in Github at canvas-contrib/bulk_upload_avatars.py at master · kajigga/canvas-contrib · GitHub.

Canvas doesn't otherwise do any caching of these avatar images. If the image is only available on the local network then it would display as a broken image outside if the network.

View solution in original post

The snippet at canvas-contrib/bulk_upload_avatars.py at master · kajigga/canvas-contrib · GitHub does not seem to work.

Still looking for a solution to my issue.

For now I will try and contact the author of the Python snippet.

Brad

I have been able to update the python script and get it to work. Short version: add "sis_user_id:" before user_id in the API calls. I can paste the script if anyone wants.

However, now I've hit a new problem: after upload 65 images I get "[(u'message', u'file size exceeds quota')]". They're all pretty small images, ~60kB in size.

I have another version of the Python script which I have modified to work a little bit better.

PM me and I can send it to you if you like.

Brad

I worked out the problem, some users were over quota. If I temporarily increase the quota then the script works. Some of them had 1GB+ when their quota was 50MB ...

Also there is a bit of a delay in the API. Once you upload the image, the avatars API call doesn't immediately return the new picture as an option. I've solved this by splitting the main loop and running the avatar API call part after the upload part.

Hi Brad

would you you be able to send me the script please it has been driving me crazy trying to get it to work