Adding new grades from f2f courses

Jump to solution
tjhart
Community Member

#Puzzled My classes were changed from face to face to online in the middle of the semester. How do add columns to the gradebook for assignments that were required in the classroom venue. For example, one explanations almost gets it, but I don't know what a "CSV" file is .

0 Likes
1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Thomas,

A CSV file stands for Comma Separated Values and is a type of format supported by Excel and Google Spreadsheets. In Canvas, you can use a CSV file to manage your Gradebook without having to add assignments individually.

Canvas has several types of assignments. One is an online assignment, which you will use in Canvas if you want your students to submit something. However, another type is called a No Submission assignment, and you can use that if you had assignments that students have already turned in to you in the classroom and you simply need to create a grade for that assignment. (No Submission just tells students that they don't need to submit anything for the assignment, as they'll still see that assignment in their Grades page.)

So here are some lessons for your consideration, depending on your objective:

If you already have the assignments and students don't need to submit them—and you want to create an assignment individually in the Gradebook:How do I create assignment columns for non-submission assignments in the Gradebook? 

If you want to convert everything in the classroom to online submission assignments (and again, you want to create them individually): How do I create an online assignment? 

If you want to create assignments in the Gradebook in bulk: How do I export grades in the Gradebook? Use this lesson to learn how to download an existing copy of your Gradebook and open it in Excel. You can add additional columns that represent the new assignments you want to add, save the file (still as a CSV type), and then upload it to the Gradebook again: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26281-how-do-i-import-grades-in-the-gradebook The assignments will be created for you, but if you want to add details about the assignment and assign the assignment type (e.g. online), you'll have to edit them individually. But the assignment shells will all be created for you.

Hope that helps!

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Likes