cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardm
Surveyor

Adding notification methods for students

Hey Canvas Gurus!

Just wondering if there was a way at the beginning of the school year to manually add notification methods for students by importing batch data from our SMS?

Tags (1)
5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Due to the technical nature of this question I'm going to share it with the Canvas Developers group in the Community. They are the ones that work with this side of Canvas and should hopefully be able to help! In addition, you might consider joining the Developers group and checking out some of their other resources/information!

Thanks!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @richardm ​, I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears you have the Community stumped! Were you able to devise a solution independently, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this? In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to enhance the visibility of your question by re-tagging the Canvas Developers group; if anyone knows how to do this, it's those folks. Smiley Happy

RobDitto
Navigator

While there isn't an existing batch import process for notification preferences, you could have a developer write a tool to:

• Read a data file of communication channel information (e.g., email address) for each student;
  • Update notification preferences using the Notification Preferences API.

Here's an anonymously provided Python code sample which might help start the project:

canvas/update_notification_prefs.py at master · unsupported/canvas · GitHub

(Disclaimer: I'm not a developer and haven't personally used that code; I did once do something similar using the Communication Channels API and Postman.)

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @richardm ​, it's been a while since we last heard from you. Did  @RobDitto ​'s response answer the question? For now, I'm going to mark this question as Assumed Answered, but the conversation remains open for participation, so feel free to provide an update.