cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlavalle
Surveyor

Adobe Captivate and SCORM tool workflow in Canvas

Jump to solution

I'm trying to mock up a Captivate module in Captivate for an instructor to show her how it works, but am having trouble getting it to work myself. I've been able to do this in the past. After I upload the Captivate module via the SCORM tool it shows me a message "Content Data Finalizing" when I load the assignment:

255243_SCORM 2004 After Upload.png

After a while it eventually just gives me a 404 error:

255244_SCORM 2004 4th Error.png

I've tried this with Adobe Captivate 2017, and various SCORM settings: SCORM 1.2, 2004 3rd Ed, and 2004 4th Ed and they all show this behavior. Any ideas? I'm aware of the SCORM guide and want a graded assignment but maybe I'm missing something really simple. Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sep38
Community Member

Dan, I posted this in another forum. It seems to be the issue you are experiencing here :

I am joining this conversation late, but I was investigating this issue approximately a month ago since I use Adobe Captivate to author SCORM packages on Canvas. 

I had put a ticket in with Instructure that got escalated to a "Level 2" regarding the issue.

Here was their response to the ticket, which I received today:

Our engineers our working with our partners at Rustici on this issue, and have identified the cause: Any SCORM packages including file paths containing an @ symbol will cause the package to throw a 404 error when attempting to preview it in Canvas. Rustici is working with the appropriate people to have this issue addressed. In the meantime, any SCORM packages you see displaying this error can be manually edited to remove those @ symbols from files and file paths they contain, and then re-uploaded to Canvas, in order for you and other users in the course to be able to preview and interact with the file. For example, a file or folder called myfile@2 can be edited to be called myfile_at_2. We realize this fix can be a bit of a headache, but it is the only good workaround until Rustici can verify the issue with the @ symbol in packages is fixed. Our engineers are working on a tool that can help remove that symbol from SCORM packages, so we can help if you'd like our assistance; we'll just need you to send us a copy of the file(s) you need updated (which have been uploaded to Canvas and are showing a 404 error). Please note that this tool will replace ALL occurrences of the @ symbol in your SCORM package - not just in file paths - so you will only want us to do this for those packages you know do not contain content that depends on an @ symbol, such as email addresses, etc. We appreciate your patience on this issue; we will provide another update once we hear back from Rustici again.

Following Instructure's advice, I zipped up a Captivate package I was working on and published it as a SCORM file. Then I used the following Steps to get it the package to work.

1. Unzip the file so that you can view all of the contents inside 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jclay
Community Member

I'm in the same boat, tried all versions of SCORM and get the exact same result as you. Hopefully, someone has a solution.

sep38
Community Member

Dan, I posted this in another forum. It seems to be the issue you are experiencing here :

I am joining this conversation late, but I was investigating this issue approximately a month ago since I use Adobe Captivate to author SCORM packages on Canvas. 

I had put a ticket in with Instructure that got escalated to a "Level 2" regarding the issue.

Here was their response to the ticket, which I received today:

Our engineers our working with our partners at Rustici on this issue, and have identified the cause: Any SCORM packages including file paths containing an @ symbol will cause the package to throw a 404 error when attempting to preview it in Canvas. Rustici is working with the appropriate people to have this issue addressed. In the meantime, any SCORM packages you see displaying this error can be manually edited to remove those @ symbols from files and file paths they contain, and then re-uploaded to Canvas, in order for you and other users in the course to be able to preview and interact with the file. For example, a file or folder called myfile@2 can be edited to be called myfile_at_2. We realize this fix can be a bit of a headache, but it is the only good workaround until Rustici can verify the issue with the @ symbol in packages is fixed. Our engineers are working on a tool that can help remove that symbol from SCORM packages, so we can help if you'd like our assistance; we'll just need you to send us a copy of the file(s) you need updated (which have been uploaded to Canvas and are showing a 404 error). Please note that this tool will replace ALL occurrences of the @ symbol in your SCORM package - not just in file paths - so you will only want us to do this for those packages you know do not contain content that depends on an @ symbol, such as email addresses, etc. We appreciate your patience on this issue; we will provide another update once we hear back from Rustici again.

Following Instructure's advice, I zipped up a Captivate package I was working on and published it as a SCORM file. Then I used the following Steps to get it the package to work.

1. Unzip the file so that you can view all of the contents inside 

View solution in original post

Thanks much  @sep38  - I appreciate it. I just heard back from Instructure support who also confirmed that this is indeed the issue. 

kfaulkn31
Community Member

I am having this exact problem for adding Articulate Storyline 360 Files as assignments Canvas, but I when I look through my files and search for an @ symbol I can't find any.

Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

400 error

Loading error