Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joannal_lau
Surveyor II

All files have same date upon import

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

When I import a Blackboard Archive zip file into a Canvas course, the files all end up having the same creation date. Is there a way to keep the date of the actual creation to keep some order? 

Many thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @joannal_lau .  This is a good question.  I couldn't find anything written on it specifically, but am pretty sure that the creation date will always show when it was added to Canvas and that there isn't a way to bring over the creation date from the files themselves.  After uploading files, you can rename them, though, if doing so would help with organization.  This option is found using the menu (3 dots) next to a particular file.  If someone else has found a way to keep the date of file creation when one is uploaded, I would love to hear it as well! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @joannal_lau .  This is a good question.  I couldn't find anything written on it specifically, but am pretty sure that the creation date will always show when it was added to Canvas and that there isn't a way to bring over the creation date from the files themselves.  After uploading files, you can rename them, though, if doing so would help with organization.  This option is found using the menu (3 dots) next to a particular file.  If someone else has found a way to keep the date of file creation when one is uploaded, I would love to hear it as well! 

View solution in original post

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @joannal_lau ,

I have had a look at the API documents to see if there are any documented means to do this, unfortunately, when looking at the file upload API calls Uploading Files - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation, there are no means to set (or change) file creation dates, so unfortunately, I think ericwerth is on the mark with this one!

Hope that helps to clarify!

Stuart

joannal_lau
Surveyor II

Hi Eric and Stuart,

Thanks for your replies and looking into it for me! It makes sense that the creation date is when the files were created in Canvas, just thought there could be something else, which you have confirmed there is not. 

Much appreciated.

Best,

Joanna.