cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nazariok
Community Member

Allow Group Grading in a Discussion Board open to everyone?

Our hybrid programs runs in 8 week terms, and each term requires group work including posting a consensus or conclusion discussion board post and projects for which each group member receives the same grade.  For one Discussion Board prompt, the teams work together on their own to post once as a group- with all the teams' postings viewable by the entire class.  How can I add group grading to a 'public' (to the class) Discussion Board without requiring students to submit their group post twice? (once to the shared discussion board,and once again to the assignment/file upload).  

Alternatively, I've thought about creating an Assignment column for the gradebook to label each student's group number in the first column but then it effects the ending total points/grade column.  Does anyone know a clever work around?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

To be clear, is there one grade or two grades associated with this assignment? If there is only one grade, then why have a separate assignment for this? What I've done in the past for things like this is just a regular discussion (no groups) and let the students know that each group should only post to the discussion once, but to make sure and include the names of all group members on their post. When I go to grade in Speedgrader I can then see the post for each group and the name of the group members - I then click through speedgrader (or have the gradebook open in another windown) and add the correct group grade and comments to each group member. It's not perfect, but it works.

One quick question, how do you grade the discussion - so conversation/posts that take place after the initial discussion post by each group?

nazariok
Community Member

There is only one grade associated with the assignment, however, there have been several "mis-grades" entered when faculty click through Speedgrader to enter the grade for each person.  There isn't a way to have the students labeled by group number when in Speedgrader for non-group assignments, but we do utilize the hidden "notes" column for group numbers in the regular gradebook which helps a little. I believe what you explained above is what our faculty instructors currently do, which has been leaving them unsatisfied with using Speedgrader at all.  The initial post is done by the group leader, but a follow-up group response post can be posted by another member (on the group's behalf), but all members of the same group earn the same grade.

If the same setting that already exists in Assignments could be included in the Discussion Boards (as graded assignments), you could grade one person in the group with comments and it would auto-fill both items into the other members' grades/comment boxes.  Do you think this is possible?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Canvas does do this right now, but you could create a Feature Idea for it - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1330-how-do-i-create-a-new-feature-idea?sr=search&searchId=...

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nazariok ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie