cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpsimon
Lamplighter

Am I supposed to regenerate an access token?

Jump to solution

I was looking at some settings in my Canvas account regarding external apps.  According to the image below, my Google access token expired August 13.  Am I supposed to take any type of action?  Am I supposed to add or generate a new access token?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello rpsimon Thank You for your question.  I'm not 100% sure on this, but my initial thought is "no" (???).  I also have the Google Drive/Google Docs LTI tool integrated in our Canvas environment.  When I went to my personal "Settings" page, the "Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod" row was set to expire a few days ago.  So, I went into my sandbox course and clicked on the "Google Drive" button within my course navigation (which brought up my Google Drive account where I could see my files stored there).  Then, I returned back to my personal "Settings" page in Canvas.  The "Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod" row moved to the top of that list, and the expiration date changed to Aug 14 at 7:52pm.  So, maybe it's setting a one-hour window every time you use the tool?  That's a bit beyond my scope of knowledge, so I'll share this question with the Canvas Developers group here in the Community in hopes we can get some clarification on that.  If you aren't yet following this group, you can use the link that I have provided, and you'll see two buttons at the top right corner of your screen: "Follow" and "Actions".  Click on both of them.  When you click on "Actions", you'll have to then select "Join group".

I hope this will help you a bit, Rebecca.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello rpsimon Thank You for your question.  I'm not 100% sure on this, but my initial thought is "no" (???).  I also have the Google Drive/Google Docs LTI tool integrated in our Canvas environment.  When I went to my personal "Settings" page, the "Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod" row was set to expire a few days ago.  So, I went into my sandbox course and clicked on the "Google Drive" button within my course navigation (which brought up my Google Drive account where I could see my files stored there).  Then, I returned back to my personal "Settings" page in Canvas.  The "Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod" row moved to the top of that list, and the expiration date changed to Aug 14 at 7:52pm.  So, maybe it's setting a one-hour window every time you use the tool?  That's a bit beyond my scope of knowledge, so I'll share this question with the Canvas Developers group here in the Community in hopes we can get some clarification on that.  If you aren't yet following this group, you can use the link that I have provided, and you'll see two buttons at the top right corner of your screen: "Follow" and "Actions".  Click on both of them.  When you click on "Actions", you'll have to then select "Join group".

I hope this will help you a bit, Rebecca.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

rpsimon

I cannot get a token is a related conversation that you might want to explore.  James Jones links to another conversation that is similar in the thread as well.  

You may also want to read through How do I manage API access tokens as an instructor?, which touches on token management.

Thanks, but I am wondering the following.  I never generated the access token for Google.  Rather, it was generated automatically.  When I open up the details for the Google, there's no purpose listed.  So if I generate a token manually, I am confused as to what I need to enter as the purpose for the token.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, rpsimon...

I really don't think there's anything extra you need to do on your end.  I'm an admin for our school's Canvas environment, and I've had Google connected to my Canvas account for quite a while.  I've never had to go back to the page you're looking at to do any additional configuration or generate tokens for it.  I would just leave the row for Google there and forget about it.  As long as it's there and as long as you are able to access your content from Google inside of Canvas, you should be "good to go".  I hope this helps, Rebecca.

Thank you,  @chofer ‌!