cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

An enrollment listed a section and a course that are unrelated

Jump to solution

Has anyone received this error while trying to upload enrollments using SIS? How do you go about debugging or identifying what the issue is?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Lamplighter

isaacsbr@husson.edu​,

With the lack of more than just an error message, it's going to be difficult to diagnose, but let me take a stab. I'll start with "No, I've never seen that error" so understand this is a best-initial-guess attempt.

Did you happen to include both a course_id and a section_id in your enrollments.csv upload?

You only need one. We use course for instructors and section for students, but I don't think that's written down as a best practice anywhere and I know other people do it differently.

Field NameData TypeDescription
course_idtextRequired field if section_id is missing. The course identifier from courses.csv
root_accounttextThe domain of the account to search for the user.
user_idtextRequired field. The User identifier from users.csv
roletextRequired field if role_id missing. student, teacher, ta, observer, designer, or a custom role defined by the account
role_idtextRequired field if role missing. Uses a role id, either built-in or defined by the account
section_idtextRequired field if course_id missing. The section identifier from sections.csv, if none is specified the default section for the course will be used
statusenumRequired field. active, deleted, completed, inactive
associated_user_idtextFor observers, the user identifier from users.csv of a student in the same course that this observer should be able to see grades for. Ignored for any role other than observer

If you put both the course_id and the section_id into the file, but the section didn't belong to the course, then I could imagine that error happening.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Lamplighter

isaacsbr@husson.edu​, because your question is so specific to an Admin function, I've shared it with the Canvas Admins​ group to enhance its visibility among those who are more likely to have experienced such an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

isaacsbr@husson.edu​, to help get your question answered, I've shared it with the Canvas Developers​ group in the Community. They are the ones doing the back-end programming in Canvas and might have some insight into what your issue might be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you for your assistance in getting my question to the right groups, I

am new to Canvas.

Thank you,

Husson University

1 College Circle

Bangor, ME 04401

Office:207 9417106

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 1:20 PM

To: Brian Isaacs

Subject: Re: - An enrollment listed a section and a course

that are unrelated

Canvas Community

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/9AA/PDcDAA/t.1tv/p45LUAjBTueMiNoZQX0UOg/h0/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cdIic4NoL-2FHLMYEZhvofPZ-2Ff2hCt6tvfLbJnyBHCNuIv7Xy1jz8g37USd5TMU3IMkg-3D-3D>

An enrollment listed a section and a course that are unrelated

reply from Kona Jones

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/9AA/PDcDAA/t.1tv/p45LUAjBTueMiNoZQX0UOg/h1/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cdIic4NoL-2FHLMYEZhvofPZ8-2FED1NsVEBQ5yJJ2DC2S5CjTlmfr8X46jwpkjHOhBzD2fBTRAfm0Cr1y-2FF08t6CBtZXKgZh-2FPwt3PhmEEUtsOx>

in Find Answers - View the full discussion

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/9AA/PDcDAA/t.1tv/p45LUAjBTueMiNoZQX0UOg/h2/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cdIic4NoL-2FHLMYEZhvofPZ-2BqelH80oxlMnWvbFAZ4C3sVHWitWgtzdO-2F91uPYflf6IggxMCrr7i6mogqyt7uqEw-3D>

Highlighted
Surveyor

No worries! Where you posted your question was perfectly fine, but due to the more technical nature of the question it's sometimes good to share it with other user groups in the Community to better help you get an answer!

Welcome to Canvas and to the Community!

Highlighted
Lamplighter

isaacsbr@husson.edu​,

With the lack of more than just an error message, it's going to be difficult to diagnose, but let me take a stab. I'll start with "No, I've never seen that error" so understand this is a best-initial-guess attempt.

Did you happen to include both a course_id and a section_id in your enrollments.csv upload?

You only need one. We use course for instructors and section for students, but I don't think that's written down as a best practice anywhere and I know other people do it differently.

Field NameData TypeDescription
course_idtextRequired field if section_id is missing. The course identifier from courses.csv
root_accounttextThe domain of the account to search for the user.
user_idtextRequired field. The User identifier from users.csv
roletextRequired field if role_id missing. student, teacher, ta, observer, designer, or a custom role defined by the account
role_idtextRequired field if role missing. Uses a role id, either built-in or defined by the account
section_idtextRequired field if course_id missing. The section identifier from sections.csv, if none is specified the default section for the course will be used
statusenumRequired field. active, deleted, completed, inactive
associated_user_idtextFor observers, the user identifier from users.csv of a student in the same course that this observer should be able to see grades for. Ignored for any role other than observer

If you put both the course_id and the section_id into the file, but the section didn't belong to the course, then I could imagine that error happening.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you very much for the information having both the course_id and the

section_id in the file was the issue, thank you again and next time I will

be sure to include more details.

Thank you,

Brian

Husson University

1 College Circle

Bangor, ME 04401

Office:207 9417106

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:09 PM

To: Brian Isaacs

Subject: You have been mentioned by James Jones in Re: An enrollment

listed a section and a course that are unrelated in Canvas Community

Canvas Community

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/8gA/PDcDAA/t.1tv/YZn8Gu18QuqrG1k41IPF6Q/h0/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cdIic4NoL-2FHLMYEZhvofPZ-2B6rFt9aXT5tZsucPolOjcLLg6p6p1pRmS2OwSzUjvh3g-3D-3D>

You have been mentioned

by James Jones

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/8gA/PDcDAA/t.1tv/YZn8Gu18QuqrG1k41IPF6Q/h1/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cdIic4NoL-2FHLMYEZhvofPZ8Lxe7DYeAKZxTdGCpXaZPhO3tbFY5VqlRKbbfuT0SKQD1PD9p3c9Uq8P0kekK7mA-2BGxUGuiRDn9JsERMIpCbTC>

*in

Re: An enrollment listed a section and a course that are unrelated in

Canvas Community* - View James Jones's reference to you

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/8gA/PDcDAA/t.1tv/YZn8Gu18QuqrG1k41IPF6Q/h2/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cdIic4NoL-2FHLMYEZhvofPZ-2B11H7Gxf6pHYmUi3kS8PPDkNcKfmtugwBvl2PMRXGTpAEllxfVhr2ewof2J-2Bd5iso-3D>

Highlighted
Lamplighter

I'm glad you figured it out as the documentation can sometimes be confusing.

Their example shows both a course ID and a section ID. They also give poor examples for the sections, making it look like it's a simple value that could be specific to each course and reused rather than the globally unique value that is described in the text.

I personally have never tested both, but if it works, you would need to make sure that the pairing in the enrollments.csv file matched whatever the pairing was in the sections.csv file.