cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Analytics, Page Views, Weird!

These questions have probably been asked before. I searched and could not find anything so I will ask.

I am going into Analytics for one student, and I am concerned about their "Activity."  The one metric shown for activity is "page views."

1) How is a "page view" defined in this "Analytics" system?  For example, is this only for "Page" resources, and not quizzes, assignments, forums, etc.?  I wish to know the exact detail of what a "page view" is, not someones guess, please.

2) Is there any way to see which "pages" the student has views?

3) Is there any way to see the time in addition to the date?

4) I see a graph "Activity by Date," "Page Views," and I can manually add up how many "Page Views" this student has had.  Then I switch to the "list view." The number of "page views" is far different than what the graph shows.  Why is this?  Why is there a discrepancy between what the graph view "page views" shows and what the "list view" shows?

I will attach what I see for a student.

(In this example, one can count 18 page views on the graph.  The list view shows 32 pages views.  Of course, these two numbers are quite different.

Tags (1)
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Rick, you can check it out.  Go to People, and find your student.  Click on their name.  On the right-hand side, you will see a link called "Access Report".  Click on this, and it will give you all you need.  You can print this out!

Highlighted
Community Member

Jennifer, thanks for your reply.  But no, this doesn't answer any of my questions.

Your instructions were pretty good.  On the right side, there is not a link called "Access Report." Instead, there is a link called "User Details."  When clicking this, I am presented various buttons, such as "Student Grades", "Interactions Report", "Outcomes Report", "Analytics" (which is the same Analytics from the first right selection), and yes, "Access Report."

This report shows how many times the Course Home was viewed, but this is a new number that doesn't match the count from the graph view or the list view.  So, did this student visit the Course Home 18, 32, or (now) 36 times?  Three different numbers!  And a few more counts for a few different course objects that provide little detail.  (The only thing that makes any sense is if a student clicks only one time on a "content" object, my guess is that the "last viewed time" is probably for this one click, but I could be wrong.)

So, my initial questions #1, #2, #3, and #4 have not been answered by your suggestion.

I do appreciate your help, but I am just mentioning that your response does not answer my questions.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Stephanie Sanders,

It appears that you are the only Canvas support person who has taken an interest in this very important topic of proper student analytics. I got an email from the Canvas LMS Community saying that you rated Jennifer’s reply as helpful, so I know that you have read my post.

Yes, it is always great when Canvas users try to help each other, and I do appreciate Jennifer’s attempt to expand on my question. However, as you can see, her response did not answer any of my questions. And actually, her response has opened up some new questions by highlighting even more inconsistencies between reports, the numbers in the Access report do not match the numbers in the Analytics graph and tables! So maybe Jennifer’s reply is attempting to answer question #2, but there are errors in this Access report, and it lacks detail. And I can affect its counts without clicking on an item. This is why all four questions still need to be answered about all these reports.

Can you take each of my four questions and answer each one individually? Since you are a Canvas support person, I think that you are in the best position to find answers.

I am glad that my post got your attention.

So, Stephanie, your thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, richard-jerz@uiowa.edu, I did indeed find Jennifer's post helpful ( 9927744@cherokeek12.net Thank You ‌!). Here are some resources that provide definitions: How do I view Course Analytics? (which explains the difference between Page Views and Participation), and How do I view the course access report for an individual user? 

Because your questions are so specific to the interactions in a particular course, they will need to be addressed by someone who can look directly at the numbers in the course with you, ideally in real time—either a Canvas admin at your school who can sit with you to look at each of the differences you've identified, or a member of Canvas Support (we're the Community Team), which you can reach by clicking on the Help link and selecting Report a Problem or Chat if that option is available to you (we're the Community Team).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Okay, thanks for your reply.

Your links do not provide the answers.  For example, when I search for "page views" I still do not see any definition. Nor do I see anything suggesting why the graph and list views would be different.

But you might be on to something.  Maybe this has something to do with my courses. So I will get with my school's Canvas administrator to probe a little deeper.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

richard-jerz@uiowa.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for your email.

No, this question has not been answered. This post should be kept alive.

However, in another discussion, this question, in slightly different context, continues. Until the question is answered, the posts should remain unanswered.

I am not exactly sure about the best way to reference another discussion topic. Here is at least one link to the other discussion. Is there a better way to do this?

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/148287-re-canvas-data-requests-count-vs-canvas-analytics-pag...

Rick

0 Kudos
Labels