Highlighted
Community Member

Animated Giphy images

Jump to solution

I am wondering how to embed a giphy image (those that jump and move) into a discussion.

How do we insert them for them to functions and become animated?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi stouze@ccsf.edu.  I just tested this, and if you upload the .gif to the files tab of the course, you should be able to go go to the discussion and use the insert image option in the rich content editor (see How do I insert course images into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector as an instruct... or How do I embed images from Canvas into the Rich Content Editor as a student?).  In my tests, images inserted this way are animated.

I hope this helps but let us know if there are issues!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi stouze@ccsf.edu.  I just tested this, and if you upload the .gif to the files tab of the course, you should be able to go go to the discussion and use the insert image option in the rich content editor (see How do I insert course images into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector as an instruct... or How do I embed images from Canvas into the Rich Content Editor as a student?).  In my tests, images inserted this way are animated.

I hope this helps but let us know if there are issues!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi! I'm using the new content editor, and every time I try to upload my .gif file, it says that it is an invalid file. Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi sbridges@coastline.edu  I just tested again with a sandbox using the new content editor and it seems to work ok for me.  Have you tried uploading the gif to your files tab and then in the RCE selecting to insert a course image?  You might also check the file name itself.  Sometimes I have run into file names that have special characters or naming elements that confuse the system as it can't recognize the file type. If there is anything strange looking, you might try renaming the file and see if that works.  I am not aware if administratively it is possible to restrict the types of files that can be uploaded to Canvas in general.  If you try everything with no luck it may be worth contacting an admin at your school or Canvas Support directly (see How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) to see if they can dig into the problem a bit more.  

Please let us know what you find out!

0 Kudos