cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Annotating PDF's in Speedgrader not working

Jump to solution

I am attempting to annotate PDF's in speedgrader with a touchscreen laptop and a stylus. I select the pen tool but it just drags the PDF around when I try to write anything. This happens with any annotation tool I select. This is very frustrating as I do not want to have to use a separate application to annotate the PDF's and then re-upload them for my students.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

I think I've found the root of the issue. I'm fairly certain the laptop I was using won't allow a passive stylus to draw in Chrome or other applications. To actually draw, the computer needs an actual mouse click, and a passive stylus won't do this. I've moved to the Canvas Teacher app on an android tablet to annotate assignments and that seems to work ok. An actual active stylus that connects to the laptop would likely work. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I am able to annotate with my mouse.  But it's very sloppy and I want to with my stylus instead!

Highlighted
Community Member

I agree.  We should just be able to use a touchscreen or a tablet with stylus.  I hear you can download Canvas Teacher App if you have an iPad or iPhone.  Annotating on my phone sounds nearly impossible, and I don't have an iPad, so I guess I'm stuck with the terrible mouse method?  This REALLY needs to be fixed!

Highlighted

I agree! Trying to annotate student submitted work using the trackpad is ridiculous. 

I have a XP-PEN Deco 3 that works with everything except Canvas SpeedGrader. My roommate has a Wacom and that also works with everything except Canvas SpeedGrader. She also has an iPad so she uses that with her stylus to grade and leave feedback, but I can't afford to buy one; nor should I have to. There has to be something Canvas can do to make SpeedGrader stylus friendly.

Highlighted
Community Member

Got help with this from my IT folks.  They had me download Chrome and try again, and in Chrome, the stylus works to annotate in SpeedGrader.  I hope this can work for others.

Highlighted

I already use Chrome:( and nothing

Lisa

Highlighted

Hi lisa.james@lakotaonline.com  Do you know what version of Chrome you are using or if you can upgrade to a newer version. I don't know about this functionality specifically but have run into instances where an older version of the browser doesn't work but the most updated version does.  Just a thought!

Highlighted
Community Member

I think I've found the root of the issue. I'm fairly certain the laptop I was using won't allow a passive stylus to draw in Chrome or other applications. To actually draw, the computer needs an actual mouse click, and a passive stylus won't do this. I've moved to the Canvas Teacher app on an android tablet to annotate assignments and that seems to work ok. An actual active stylus that connects to the laptop would likely work. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the update aaronpachta@ksu.edu  That's good information to keep in mind for the future.

All the best---