cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbergstrom
Community Member

Annotating Student Work

Jump to solution

The annotation feature does not appear when I open up the speed grader.  Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jbergstrom ​, the annotation tools are part of the Crocodoc integration, and they load automatically in SpeedGrader for submissions of compatible file types. Canvas currently supports .doc/.docx, .ppt/.pptx, and .pdf Crocodoc file formats. If you have not set restrictions on assignment submissions such that only uploads of these file types are permitted, SpeedGrader will still display the student's submission in the Box previewer, but the Crocodoc annotation tools will be absent. For more information on how Crocodoc annotation works, please refer to this lesson from the Canvas Guides: How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jbergstrom ​, the annotation tools are part of the Crocodoc integration, and they load automatically in SpeedGrader for submissions of compatible file types. Canvas currently supports .doc/.docx, .ppt/.pptx, and .pdf Crocodoc file formats. If you have not set restrictions on assignment submissions such that only uploads of these file types are permitted, SpeedGrader will still display the student's submission in the Box previewer, but the Crocodoc annotation tools will be absent. For more information on how Crocodoc annotation works, please refer to this lesson from the Canvas Guides: How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments?

View solution in original post

Thanks for your help!  I did not set restrictions on the assignment submission.  If I go back and do that - will I then be able to annotate the student submissions?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jbergstrom , as long as the assignment is still open for participation, you can edit the assignment so as to set the appropriate file restrictions on the assignment and then ask your students to resubmit compatible files. By default, SpeedGrader will only display students' most recent submissions, so the new submissions will have the annotation tools available to you.