cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vanessa_Scee
Community Member

Announcement Deleted Need More Detail

If an annoucement is deleted and there multiple people listed in the Teacher role in the course, can I as an Admin see more information than simply "last updated" when I view them using the undelete feature? It would be helpful to know who last updated the annoucement and what action was performed.

184841_pastedImage_6.png

I can look at a user's account details and then search by reviews however I couldn't find anything related to  "delete" when I searched page views using the URL (similar to this):  https://mycollege.instructure.com/courses/coursenumber/announcements/delete or

or  https://mycollege.instructure.com/courses/coursenumber/announcements

I should clarify that this (one) instructor has reported this issue on three separate occasions in the course, all happening for the first time this school term. My hunch is that it may be accidentally done by the instructor but wanted to ensure I had covered all of my bases so to speak.

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Vanessa_Scee ​, we actually had this happen this semester in one of our team taught courses and what worked for us was to contact Canvas Support and ask them to hunt down the information (we provided the announcement and course information and potential date range of when it happened). They were able to come up with the offending Instructor pretty quickly and didn't seem to have any problem helping with this type of thing! Smiley Happy

Thanks, Kona! I appreciate your response. I submitted a ticket and will see what they are able to find.

Very good! Let us know if they are able to help!

James
Navigator

Another thing that you can do is look at the date and time when the discussion was "last updated" from the undelete page as this is the timestamp of when it was deleted. Then go through the access logs for each of the possible suspects to see who was in Canvas and looking at the announcements page about that time. Usually that's enough to narrow it down to the culprit.

There is no special entry written to the access log for deleting an announcement. It's made through an AJAX call with a method of delete. AJAX calls happen all the time (any time Canvas needs to do something beyond the original page load) and aren't written to the access log. The last thing that will appear in the access log is that the user was looking at the announcements.

Thanks, James. The information regarding AJAX was very helpful!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Vanessa_Scee ​, it's been over a month since we last heard from you, and you got some solid responses. Did any of them ultimately resolve your issue? Or was Canvas Support able to find a solution, and if so, would you take a moment to update the Community on how they resolved it? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; however it will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct."  Thanks!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Vanessa_Scee ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie