Announcement copied but not broadcast

Jump to solution
cantanima
Community Member

Yesterday I posted a weather-related announcement to the students in two courses, telling them class would be online.

• The students in the class where I originally posted the announcement received it and stayed home.
  • The students in the class to which I copied the announcement did not receive the announcement, even though it appeared on the home page. Nearly all the students showed up to class, and they didn't realize what was going on until I sent another announcement because I was running late.

This is not the first time I have observed this. How can I ensure an announcement I have copied from one course to another will actually broadcast to the students' devices?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
gnoack
Community Champion

HI @cantanima,

What I do after copying an announcement is to edit it and set a post date and time, even if it's just five minutes in the future. 

It isn't included in the directions for copying an announcement, but when it is copied, it isn't posted to students until you at least set a post date and time.  (It may post if you simply open and save it again, but I haven't tested this.) If you consider, it's good that it does this as it allows you the opportunity to edit the announcement before it's posted to students.  However, the guide should explain this, and it doesn't. 

How do I copy an announcement to another course? - Canvas Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes