cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdavick
Community Member

Announcements Disappeared

Jump to solution

A few weeks ago the announcements for all of my courses disappeared. I had several things in the announcements that I wanted my students to be able to go back and refer to.

Can anyone tell me why they are gone? Where did they go? Is there a way to get them back?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sdavick , it’s not normal for announcements to disappear. My recommendation is to contact Canvas Support to see if they can help figure out what happened. To do this click on the help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Kona

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sdavick , it’s not normal for announcements to disappear. My recommendation is to contact Canvas Support to see if they can help figure out what happened. To do this click on the help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Kona

View solution in original post

sdavick
Community Member

Thank you. 

I just submitted a ticket. 

Do you know how long it usually takes to hear back? I submitted one last year and I don't think I ever got any response.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It depends on a couple of different things. Does your school use Canvas or are you using free for teachers?

sdavick
Community Member

We use it 6-12 grade for all teachers and students.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for the extra information! Since your school uses it, then it might depend on how the Canvas admin at your school has your support work flow configured. Many schools have it set-up so Canvas Support questions go straight to support - these tickets will definitely get answered. Other schools (including mine) have it set-up so Canvas Support questions go through the College's support staff first and then they decide which questions need escalated to support - In this case there can be a delay or on occasion tickets don't get forwarded on to support.

My recommendation is to put the ticket in and then also check with the person in charge of Canvas at your school to see what the work flow is for your school. 

Kona

audra_agnelly
Adventurer III

@sdavick ,

We've seen this happen in courses where there are multiple teachers in the course. Is there anyone else with editing rights to your course (teacher or TA role) who might have deleted those announcements? You can also go to your course homepage and add /undelete to the end of the URL to view and restore deleted items. Each item on that page will have a Last Updated timestamp which indicates when the announcement was deleted.

Audra, thank you for the suggestions.

I have asked the other teachers who share the course. None of them deleted the announcements, at least not on purpose and I believe they would have to delete them individually one at a time and in each course which would be difficult to do accidentally.

I did do what you suggested - I don't know why I hadn't thought to go ahead and check undelete just in case. 

Here is the interesting thing - in one of the three courses, I was able to find all of the announcements as if they had been deleted. I was able to restore them in that class - YAY! They were NOT listed in the deleted items list for the other two courses. This leaves me even more puzzled. 

Thankfully most of them were the same announcements for each course so I have begun the process of copying them from the one course where they were restored and reposting them into the other two courses.

Did you ever learn anything on this. We have a very similar situation where announcements are disappearing and they are not in the undelete. We KNOW they were posted because the instructor gets the notifications for announcements and she can see them there. 

No, we never figured out what happened.