cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer II

Announcements already posted- automatically sent to recently enrolled students?

Jump to solution

If I've already posted an announcement, will that announcement automatically be sent to a student who just enrolled in my course? 

Thanks, Heather 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer III

An announcement notification is sent when it is created (or at the time/date you've set if you chose to delay the announcement). If a student enrolls after the announcement has gone out, they will not receive a notification. You can go into your course settings and select to have x number of recent announcements displayed at the top of your homepage. This might help highlight important information for your new enrollees. Otherwise, you may just need to inform new students that they need to view the Announcements page in your course and read recent announcements they may have missed prior to their enrollment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Member

Hi Heather,

My educated guess is yes, with two conditions:

• The course must be published in order for announcements to actually be sent. This is a big consideration for instructors wanting to contact students prior to a course beginning. If you want to send out announcements but don't want students to see the other content in the course, you could publish the course but unpublish the modules, pages, etc.
  • The announcements must be configured to be sent immediately and not set to delayed release. Delayed release is useful for planning announcements ahead of time (like reminding students of a deadline), but might not be applicable if you want to contact students right away upon enrollment.

I hope this is helpful!

Best,

Sarah

Thanks @Sarah!  I appreciate your quick feedback! Heather 

Adventurer III

An announcement notification is sent when it is created (or at the time/date you've set if you chose to delay the announcement). If a student enrolls after the announcement has gone out, they will not receive a notification. You can go into your course settings and select to have x number of recent announcements displayed at the top of your homepage. This might help highlight important information for your new enrollees. Otherwise, you may just need to inform new students that they need to view the Announcements page in your course and read recent announcements they may have missed prior to their enrollment.

View solution in original post

Audra....Thank you so much! I do have the announcements set to appear on my Homepage...I have it set at 3....so this will definitely work! Heather