cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgraff1
Community Member

Announcements on Canvas

Jump to solution

I have created two announcements, but the Announcement link is greyed out and the Announcements do not appear on the Home page.  How do I remedy this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sgraff1 , to make sure the Announcements link isn't grayed out, go to Settings for your course and click on the "Navigation" tab. Make sure "Announcements" is listed up at the top with the visible links. The following guide explains this in more detail - How do I manage Course Navigation links? As for making announcements show up at the top of the Home page, see the following guide for directions - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13115-4152682262 

Hope this helps!

Kona 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sgraff1 , to make sure the Announcements link isn't grayed out, go to Settings for your course and click on the "Navigation" tab. Make sure "Announcements" is listed up at the top with the visible links. The following guide explains this in more detail - How do I manage Course Navigation links? As for making announcements show up at the top of the Home page, see the following guide for directions - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13115-4152682262 

Hope this helps!

Kona 

View solution in original post

Hi Kona, 

I am running into a similar issue as described above (my Announcements link is grayed out), but 'Announcements' is listed with the visible links (in other words, it is enabled). I have tried:

• disabling then re-enabling the Announcement link
  • logging out of Canvas, then logging back in
  • posting an announcement and going to view it in student view--I receive a message that the announcement has been deleted
  • creating a link on the home page to the Announcement page--in student view, I receive a message that the page is not enabled (as you can see in the image below, Announcements is in the group of 'enabled' links, but is grayed out in the course menu:
  • 302559_announcements.JPG

Do you have any suggestions for how I might be able to fix this? 

Thanks in advance!

aanzelli
Community Member

I am having the same issue as Kristie. The only difference is that in Student View I can see the announcement posted on the right hand side under "To Do", but once closed, the announcement cannot be re-opened. I have tried all of the same steps as Kristie and have also gotten no results.

Had the same issue! Within the settings mode, right click on the "Announcements", click "move" and then select "At the Top" from the dropdown menu, then click "move" and finally don't forget to click "save" at the bottom. This resolved the issue for me. Hope this is helpful.

ckirby
Community Member

I had the same problem. I fixed it by editing the announcement and playing with the "Post to" option. (My course has multiple sections.) I then switched "Post to" back to "all sections" and the Announcements link went live.

This action worked for me too. Is there an issue open for this?

nellie_yue
Surveyor

We just received a same incident report from an instructor. The announcement is posted to "All Sections" from the instructor side. Everything was checked and nothing was wrong.

I saw this post and changed the "post to" to specific sections, didn't work; I then switch it back to "All Sections"  and it finally got published. 

Is anyone looking into this?