cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
don_bryn
Surveyor

Announcements, when copied have confusing dates

I copy most courses semester-to-semester.  I keep certain announcements that are useful:   For example, "Don't forget to complete your Syllabus Quiz by midnight tonight!".

When I view the announcements in one of these courses, I can't seem to make sense of the dates.

Copied announcements do not show any date until they are released, and do NOT show my avatar.

New announements do not show the date they will be available, but rather the date I created them.  These DO show my avatar.

It would make sense if all announcements showed the date they will be available AND the avatar. . .

Any way to make this happen?

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@don_bryn , I don't believe there is a way to make this happen. I don't know the rationale for the dates, but for the avatars the rationale is that many courses are built by people other than the Instructor. Yet, they don't want students to see the person who created the announcements (if it's not the Instructor) so they made it so that when the course is copied it wipes out the avatars of the person who created them. It works the same way for discussions.

don_bryn
Surveyor

What's so confusing is that when I look at the page of announcements I can't tell which announcements have already been released and which are scheduled to be released.  Some of them even look like they were released months ago but when I open them they are scheduled in the future.   Weird.

gabrielle_orsi
Community Member

Announcements are like mini- Discussions and they behave similarly in many ways. Just like Discussions, the original date that you built them lingers... it's an annoyance, frankly. As a Canvas admin I have seen many instructors copy over Announcements & Discussions, then painstakingly re-do all of them via copy & paste to get the avatar adjusted AND to get a date that is more current associated with the Discussion / clear up what the deal is with an Announcement.

Agreed! Announcements need some work. I hope Instructure does a development push on announcements soonish.  

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@don_bryn ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

No, this is still a problem.