cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canvas_admin
Community Member

Anybody else having issues with the calendar on Firefox?

Jump to solution

So my calendar is appearing blank on the latest release of Firefox (47.0) on a mac.  It works fine on Safari and Chrome. Is anybody else having this issue?  Thought I'd ask here first before submitting a support ticket.

2016-06-08 01.35.52 pm.png

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
canvas_admin
Community Member

So apparently the issue is with one or more add-ons that I have on Firefox; one of which is Greasemonkey.   I had to disable Greasemonkey in Firefox in order for the calendar to work.  That means, at least temporarily, I'm unable to take advantage of some of  @James ​' wonderful scripts.      James, have you had any issue with the add-on not allowing your calendar (or gradebook) to load?

View solution in original post

13 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Member

So apparently the issue is with one or more add-ons that I have on Firefox; one of which is Greasemonkey.   I had to disable Greasemonkey in Firefox in order for the calendar to work.  That means, at least temporarily, I'm unable to take advantage of some of  @James ​' wonderful scripts.      James, have you had any issue with the add-on not allowing your calendar (or gradebook) to load?

View solution in original post

I just had a report of an "unresponsive script" error from one of our high-speed instructors. He did say this was happening in Firefox, so I'll pass it along. Thank you!

Shane

@canvas_admin ​,

I haven't had any issues, but that's not necessarily saying much. I don't go into my calendar view at all, so I just now tried, but it loaded okay for me. My gradebook has also been loading.

One thing you might check is to see if there are actually any greasemonkey (GM) scripts running on those pages. None of the big stuff I've written should be executing there, but someone might have put in something based on a snippet I shared here or there. I also noticed this week you had an answer about removing a link from a menu that was using setTimer. If that was done via GM instead of custom JavaScript that could be causing an issue.  If you don't provide a way to get out of delay loop, then it could continue running and cause the problem.

I'm sure you know this, but I'm providing details in case someone else comes along in the future and reads this: I would do is look at GM and see what's running on the page by looking at the GM pull down. At the bottom, there will be a list of scripts that are eligible to run on a page and a checkmark next to the ones that are enabled. If there aren't any scripts that recognize the location, then there won't be a list at the bottom at all. If there are some that are enabled, try disabling them and see if the page functions properly. If it works with all of the scripts disabled, then you can start turning them back on one at a time until you find the one that causes the problem. Then you can either leave that one disabled and enjoy the rest of the scripts or you can work on fixing that script.

Another possibility is an older (or newer) version of GM messed up something, but I would start with looking at individual scripts.

Thanks for your reply,  @James ​. After doing a more systematic sweep through the add-ons, I've been able to determine that it was not GreaseMonkey after all, but was another add-on I had in Firefox (not related to Canvas in any way).  I'm thankful that it's not GM as I've found several of your scripts to be helpful for my purposes. Smiley Happy

I'm glad you were able to figure it out and that it wasn't GM (at least this time).

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @canvas_admin 

I was just in my Calendars yesterday (most current Firefox) testing some ideas to help another community member, and experienced some difficulties - very slow page loads, and it would not let me deselect courses for the view. Something buggy in Denmark, so I would submit a ticket.

If you hear anything, please come back and let the rest of us know.

KLM

canvas_admin
Community Member

So here's something related.  I get the following message In Firefox almost every time I make a change on the calendar (add new event, delete event, move event to the following month, etc.).   I don't get this in Safari or Chrome.  I think this error is also the reason why the calendar seems to be so slow in Firefox.  It loads almost immediately in Safari.

2016-07-08 02.26.10 pm.png

kschneider25
Adventurer

This is with Firefox 47.0.

191510_pastedImage_0.png

I'm using 47.0.1 and I get that script error about 70% of the time I go to access the calendar (which for this month has about 20-30 events).