cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Anyone integrating Canvas with QuestionMark?

Hi - we are in the process of trying to get "QuestionMark On Demand" integrated with Canvas. I'm working with both QuestionMark support and Canvas support, but am hoping someone in the Community might be able to help.

I am not able to connect from Canvas to QuestionMark. Everything is set up correctly on the Questionmark server, as their tech was able to run a test using his Moodle server - but neither of us is able to connect using Canvas. I've configured the LTI, using correct consumer key, shared secret, and launch URL, but when I try to connect, I receive the error message, "sorry there was an error connecting you to the application".

The QuestionMark tech did help me test in a couple of other ways, (using the LTI testing site - http://ltiapps.net/test/tc.php) - I was able to get a log files from that test and can paste that in if helpful. The QuestionMark tech that I spoke with wasn't familiar with the Canvas interface, and wasn't sure if they had anyone integrating with Canvas. He's going to check and see if there's anything he can learn from their installations - but that really surprised me!

Is anyone out there integrating Canvas with QuestionMark, and if so, did you have problems configuring the LTI?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kathleen Barringer

Instructional Systems Engineer

Excelsior College

9 Replies
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there, stk@excelsior.edu!

I haven't used QuestionMark and a quick search through the Community didn't produce anything, so I'm going to share this with both the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=5d61c569-10af-4669-b460-46f8c2c1...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=e197159f-064e-488f-b7ee-6ea500e4cee...‌ groups to see if we can get you some help.

Adventurer

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for posting, we thought we were the only institution having an issue with this LTI! Instructure and QM are in discussions on how to progress this integration and hopefully a resolution will be found soon. I will be keeping an eye on your posting for any updates coming through.

Thank you,

Maeve McCooey

Queen's University Belfast

Thanks Maeve - I've passed your post along to the QM and Canvas staff that we're working with - hopefully one of us will get an answer fairly soon!

Hi Kathleen,

Just a quick update for you...we have been advised that the Consumer Key auto generated in QMOD is 38 characters long however the maximum character length accepted that can be accepted by Canvas is 32. Therefore the key will not allow the two systems to connect. This information has been passed on to QM and is being investigated by their developers.

Instructure have also advised that QM are not an official partner so the support they can give on this may be limited.

Hope this helps,

Maeve McCooey

Thanks so much Maeve. I have passed this along to the staff (both Canvas and QuestionMark) who are supposed to be working on this. Time has almost run out on our deadline. We are on a very tight timeline, so hopefully this information will help them to get the integration working very soon so QuestionMark can still be in the running.

Hi Kathleen,

Just a quick update for you. Questionmark have added an option when configuring their LTI Connector to use a “Use reduced checksum” this provides a shorter key that will work with JSON Web Tokens and the systems should connect. We are testing this today and hopefully (fingers crossed) we'll have another positive update for you soon. 

Thanks,

Maeve

Thanks for all your help Maeve. That's good news. Unfortunately, our timeline was pretty compressed and we needed to move forward. We decided on Credo about 2 weeks ago. I think QM would have been a good option for us, so I wish things had happened more quickly. Good luck with your implementation. I will be watching for more progress..... you never know if we might need to switch products in the future!

Good luck with Credo, hopefully it'll work well for you!

We are still working with Questionmark in resolving the issues. We are making progress as after a reduced key checksum option was added and we changed the setting privacy settings it seems that the LTI connector is functioning.

To quote Josh Shipp "Perserverance is stubborness with a purpose!" 🙂

Maeve

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello stk@excelsior.edu (and possibly kathleen@excelsior.edu ... same account?)...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question. I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been much activity in this topic since April 23, 2018.  I'm not at all familiar with QuestionMark, but it looks like you may have moved to a different product instead of QM?  If that is the case, and if you would like to mark one of the above replies as "Correct", please go ahead and do that.  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with your original question, please come back to this topic and post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.