cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Anyone playing with integrating Wordpress and Canvas?

I have multiple course sites set up on Wordpress, and my institution is a new Canvas institution. I'm wondering if anyone out there has has any luck integrating Wordpress and Canvas? Is there any way for them to share student data, for example, or any way to get the two platforms to play together?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

I don't have any experience with WordPress, seanmichaelm@middlebury.edu, but the name that immediately came to my mind was bgibson@uncfsu.edu, who has made numerous comments in the Community about his use of WordPress. I've tagged him here in case he has insight on this.

Highlighted
Community Member

It would be nice if someone could create a simple LTI that performed basic authentication, so that a WordPress site could be locked down externally, but a password delivered from within a Canvas course so that the WP site could display within the Canvas site.  *I just did not have the programming skills to create the LTI.

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/22672?commentID=22672#comment-22672

I'm not sure if anyone else has been playing with a WordPress LTI for Canvas, but this did work as far as adding a WP blog site for a Canvas course. 

http://www.spvsoftwareproducts.com/php/wordpress-lti/

---

Here is a simple WordPress theme that embeds via an iframe:

https://wordpress.com/themes/scratchpad/

Also, perform a "wordpress" search in the Canvas Community and you will see others that have been interested in melding Canvas and WordPress.  *The extra functionality (WP plugins & widgets), professional looking WP pages, and the WP site navigation, along with the WP responsive themes that "dumb down" just like Canvas pages do depending upon devices mean they could work well together.

Instructure
Instructure

Hi seanmichaelm@middlebury.edu​,

There is a WordPress LTI plugin available on SourceForge (Learning Apps - Browse /Files/Basic LTI Integrations/Wordpress at SourceForge.net ) it's made by a group called "Learning Apps" but it appears to be largely abandoned since 04/2013.  I had briefly played with it previously and it looks like 2 things need to happen to get it functioning again:

1. Update WordPress APIs used in the plugin
  2. Update PHP/LTI lib used in the plugin

So, I don't know whether it's technically feasible to resurrect this specific project or not, but it might provide insight into building a new one.

Highlighted

We are also a new Canvas school, interested in potential WordPress integration.

This LTI that Danny mentions looks to be the same one in Edu Apps ... if it is not functioning, why does it show up in edu-apps.org? I thought that site was supposed to be vetted by Instructure? Makes me nervous if abandoned stuff is still being listed there as "live and can be used in your class today" ...

Highlighted

I installed the WordPress API a couple of weeks ago when I was playing with some H5P content. I told it to use the Public level of security and the API worked. Now, when I say "worked" what I really mean is that it was able to pick up that there were different users coming into WordPress. However, it did not work in a way I would consider useful. Instead of picking out the student's name or login, it used the UUID given by the LTI to create the account name and left the user name blank. That meant that all of my user tracking to Learning Locker couldn't be easily tracked back to the student who actually did the work.

It might have been because I didn't have it properly configured -- I didn't see any documentation on how to invoke it and I was scrambling the last minute to get something working for class that morning so I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Highlighted
Community Member

SPV Software Products: LTI Connector for WordPress

The WP site URLs that this creates are not "pretty".  You might want to fiddle with the student role so that they cannot play with site plugins.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, seanmichaelm@middlebury.edu, it's been a while since we last heard from you, but you've received some solid responses. Did one of them resolve your WordPress question? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct"--and if you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread. Thanks!

Highlighted

seanmichaelmorris@me.com, I know this question is 18 months old, but I was wondering if anyone has come across a way to import the .xml file that gets created when your export a WordPress site?