Apple Pencil grading for a Canvas quiz with essay or file upload questions

SaraBasz
Community Member

In the past, I have used my Apple Pencil to mark directly on students' homework submissions that were uploaded as PDF or image documents, so I know that can be done. However, these documents were images of work done on a specific printed worksheet. Given the limitations of the upcoming school year, many students may not have access to a printer in order to print the worksheet, and I find that it takes me a lot longer to grade if each students' submission looks drastically different (e.g., if they scrunch their work together on loose leaf vs. putting a new problem on each page).

As such, I am looking into putting the questions into a quiz on Canvas, with questions that are "essay" for those that require explanation and "file upload" when the questions require them to do calculations by hand. However, I am unsure whether this format would support the use of my Apple Pencil, and I would hate to lose the capability of directly marking up student work, especially on the problems that require multi-step calculations.

Labels (1)
0 Likes