Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canvas_admin
Community Member

Archive an "assignment" (0 points)

Jump to solution

We are on rolling enrollment so our distance courses never "end"

We have a 0-point assignment in one of our courses that no longer applies and I'm looking for a way to "archive" the assignment rather than completely delete it.  If I delete the assignment, then it would also be deleted for students who have concluded enrollments in the course.   Yet, because it has student submissions, I cannot "unpublish" the assignment.

Does anybody have any thoughts about how to possibly go about this?  I could download all of the submissions and store them in our Dropbox, but I'd really like the archive to be inside Canvas rather than outside of it.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your reply,  @John_Lowe ​.  After testing around and playing with different options, including your suggestions, I decided to download the student submissions and archive them on our institutional Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
John_Lowe
Learner II

Mark, have you considered making this a differentiated assignment?  What do Differentiated Assignments look like in Canvas?  The assignment appears as a column for all students, but grade cells are grayed out for students who have not been included in the assignment. Grades cannot be assigned for students who have not been included in the assignment. Additionally, assignments that are not assigned to students—whether individually or as part of a section, group, or entire course—are not factored into overall grades.

That's not exactly what you were looking for, but you'd at least be able to easily see which students that assignment applied to or not in the grade book. 

The only other option I could think of is creating a second version of the course and exporting/importing the grades to a new copy of the course and then removing the column from the main version.  Essentially, you'd be creating an archive version so that you can delete safely from the live version.  The imported scores wouldn't be linked to the actual student submissions or quiz attempts, but the scores would be there.

Thanks for your reply,  @John_Lowe ​.  After testing around and playing with different options, including your suggestions, I decided to download the student submissions and archive them on our institutional Dropbox account.

View solution in original post